PDA

View Full Version : Anyone detail Jets?

Pages : [1] 2

CobraCraig
09-16-2004, 10:07 PM
I have had some people asking me to detail some personal jets. Does anyone have any exp? I know the paint is different, but I need to know which sealants will work. I hope Klasse will. Thanks Craig

bluesky
09-17-2004, 09:48 AM
I do mostly aircraft. the paint on most aircraft ia single stage, so normal paint care productsand procedures should be just fine. Be carefull about where you step, lean, or sit on upper skins. (ie stay away from flaps and trailing edges. and try to stay on ribs of wing structure)

CobraCraig
09-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks bluesky. I`ll watch out. I just glad I dont have to do the insides. I heard they get HOT!

Beemerboy
09-17-2004, 02:14 PM
What are you charging for a jet?

bluesky
09-17-2004, 02:55 PM
I charge between $350.00 to $900.00 depending on size and condition. what needs to be done? wash, degrease landing gear, polish, wax, interior.

PBstyle
09-18-2004, 01:18 AM
I`ve been pondering the notion of taking on aircraft. Is there a site that has good information on the ins and outs of how to do it. Is it that different than cars? I`m assuming it`s a whole other world - like brain surgery or something. Kinda intimidating - but love the profit potential!!

CobraCraig
09-19-2004, 07:32 PM
I was told $600 to $700 per jet. Most of them will be lear jets and they just want the exterior done. Wash, wax, polish, and landing gear.

Jngrbrdman
09-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Just make sure you know what you are doing around a plane. You don`t want to wax over a sensitive sensor or something like that. My brother works for a private `parking lot` back east somewhere. He says the detailers make serious money when they work on those planes. They are doing the really high end ones like Gulfstreams and such. When someone has a 4 million dollar plane, I doubt they care very much that it is going to cost a couple grand to get it detailed. It would be like being charged $40 bucks to detail a $9000 car or something. My brother says there are lots of thing you have to watch out for on planes. I want to get into plane detailing, but there are a few classes I think I am going to need to take on aircraft systems or something first. The last thing I need is to cause a serious problem just because I don`t know what I`m doing.

jaybs02
09-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Jngrbrdman,
It`s funny that you mention Gulfstream, I used to work for General Dynamics (the parent company).
They are very meticulas(sp?) about every part and the finish. I watched them return leading edges to us because they didn`t like the way the primer looked.
Here is an excert from their webpage regarding paint... How much do you think this costs?

Before we return an aircraft to a customer, we spend 350-400 hours detailing it, carefully de-sealing panels, checking stripe edges, polishing light lenses and carefully checking the whole airframe. Yes, it all takes a bit longer. But the resulting paint job is one we know will beautify and protect an aircraft under the harshest circumstances for years to come.

Sounds like it`s more than $900 :lol

Jngrbrdman
09-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, that`s what you get when you buy a $4,000,000 aircraft I guess. :lol My brother says that charging $3000 to clean one of those up is nothing. He has seen $8000 detailing bills on some of the equipment that comes in. That is what got me interested in it. Nobody is going to pay you $8000 unless they are sure you aren`t going to screw something up. Either having someone on staff with the right degrees or certifications or having them yourself is what I would think should be done. I wouldn`t let you touch my car if you only specialized in tuning wind up cars till now. Show me that you know what you are doing around a car and you`ve got the job.

LIL TYCN
09-19-2004, 08:57 PM
so why not use this thread for people to start detailing jets.
Let`s compile the inputs of what to do and what not to do plus products to use.

I have had someone ask me this before too. I am looking in spring time to plunge into this market.

LIL Tycn

jimmybuffit
09-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Insuance becomes an issue. My $2 million policy is not enough...
Here, the FBOs want Certificates of Insurance, with them as a "named insured", in amounts of total Liability in excess of $4 million.

I`d have to see some real `guaranteed` volume before making that investment!

Jim

CobraCraig
09-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Here is a manual I found online. I`m am going to a local book store to see what they have. Here is the link: http://home.att.net/~noelx/busoppor.html

CobraCraig
09-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Top of the line also has an aircraft section. I like that the have klasse for a aircraft polish. http://www.topoftheline.com/airdetman1.html

bluesky
09-25-2004, 09:00 AM
jaybs95: sounds like more than $900.00. sir i don`t know how you conduct business, but i set my prices at an hourly rate to include product, ins. and all overhead. Just because an aircraft may cost upwards of 4 plus million does`nt mean that a customer will pay that. the $900.00 doesn`t include maintance items such as desealing/resealing panels. I learned aircraft detaling while working for Delta airlines. and yes there were 300 to 400 hours of detaling but you have to look at size.