PDA

View Full Version : Show & Tell - 3 new retail products *pic*

Pages : [1] 2

imported_BretFraz
02-11-2004, 08:36 PM
I`ve been visiting local stores the past couple of days looking for some new products. Until this afternoon I had not seen much on the shelves. But a local Advance Auto Parts had on display several new products, including all new items from DuPont. I bought a few them but have not tried them so I cannot speak of performance (yet).

Meguiar`s NXT Tech Protectant

This has been discussed before but I just wanted to let y`all know it`s starting to show up at a few more places. 24 fl oz. $6.96. Has a lighter aroma than the NXT wax does. Clear liquidy fluid. Has a slippery, almost oily, feel to it. Appears to be solvent based, certainly not water based. Has UVA/UVB inhibitors.

DuPont Teflon Wheel Cleaner

Yep, DuPont is now in the car care products business. Advance had the wheel cleaner and a new spray wax for sale. Both have Teflon in them. Some quotes from the bottle label: "The only wheel cleaner with Teflon surface protectors that make future cleanings easier... Cleans tires too... contains no acids or harsh chemicals... also removes bugs and sap from all painted, plastic, glass nad chromed surfaces... contain surfactants..."

32 fl oz., $5.98, very nice foaming spray head, has a light, slightly chemical aroma, watery, has a soapy feel to it. http://www.dupontcarcare.com/

Eagle One Nanowax

As mentioned elsewhere, this is apparently a repackaged product from their Pro Detail line. Comes in a pump bottle, 16 fl oz, $9.98, sleek silver bottle, nice tropical aroma (pina colada?), doesn`t feel gritty, includes a foam app and a couple other things noted below.

While the talk about "nanotechnology" is cheesy marketing, this product comes with two very interesting items:

(a) A coupon that will refund your entire purchase price up to $9.99. You have to send in the coupon, your receipt, the UPC, and a 15+ word comment regarding the product on a separate sheet of paper. I`m sure this will be used to promote the product somehow. But essentially this offers make Nanowax free.

(b) A microfiber towel to remove the wax. Its the usual size and grey in color. Did the CD test and it marred ever so slightly with heavy rubbing. Probably not good enough for the paranoid Autopian but for everyone else, it`s fine.

So, for $10 you get a $10 refund and a MF towel worth about $2. Looks like Eagle One is going after some market share and is willing to pay for it. Even if the wax is so-so, the packaging and accessories make for an interesting product.

When I get a chance to test these products I`ll post some comments. In the meantime, here`s a pic:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/621newstuff.jpg

Spilchy
02-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Nice write up!

Looks like I`ll get the EO and get my money back! Why not?!

imported_Aurora40
02-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey Bret, I wonder if that soapy feel to the wheel cleaner is because it`s acidic? Turning your hand fats/oils into soap? (or is it bases that do that?) Just wondering.

The MSDS of NXT Tech Protectant makes no mention of water.

Dinzdale40
02-11-2004, 09:01 PM
I thought for Teflon to work as a protectant it had to be applied at like 600 degrees.

imported_ajbarnes
02-11-2004, 09:05 PM
The Dupont Teflon sounds interesting, that`s something I might have to add on my list to try out.:up

Kleanride
02-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Dinzdale40

I thought for Teflon to work as a protectant it had to be applied at like 600 degrees.

Yup, you pretty much nailed it. Manufacturers put it in the product for marketing only. Lots and lots of people think it adds to protection, but guess what?!?

I know of one company that has a product with it in, and another product, exactly the same, without teflon...even they will tell you there is know difference whatsoever in durability, shine, anything.....

I can`t think of who it is tho....DR427, if you are out there, you told me about this stuff.........!!!

:cool:

thinksnow
02-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Dinzdale40

It is very irresponsible of them to sell this product without an oven mitt. I guess it creates its own heat by mixing like 10 hour glove warmers.

imported_BretFraz
02-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Hey Bret, I wonder if that soapy feel to the wheel cleaner is because it`s acidic? Turning your hand fats/oils into soap? (or is it bases that do that?) Just wondering.

The MSDS of NXT Tech Protectant makes no mention of water.

I`ve got some litmus strips coming so I`ll test the cleaner ASAP. I`ve noticed most acid based wheel cleaners have a sharp chemical odor but this stuff is very mild. Surfactants = soap and I don`t believe you can get an acid cleaner to foam with a foaming spray head. Worth a test, though.

imported_Dave Holmes
02-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Wasn`t it DuPont themselves that issued a statement back in the early-mid 90`s saying that Teflon did nothing added to car care products. I seem to remember that was when everyone and their brother was trying to add it to wax, etc., and using the Teflon name as a marketing ploy. DuPont basically said it would add no durability to wax as the surface would have to be heated to 600+ degrees for it to bond. I believe I may have read the exact statement they issued on Meguiar`s site somewhere. It could have been a different site, but I do remember their making it. I`ll try to look for it.

This type of marketing is a definite turn-off for me. It could be a very good product, but with their previous statement, I would consider this marketing strategy either hype or under-handed. Either way, my business will go to companies who show consistency and honesty in all their dealings.

The NXT Protectant is something I might try (based solely on my experience with Meguiars). My concern with it is the description of it being "oily". Is this an accurate description once applied and buffed? I prefer a matte/satin sheen to my interior, and really dislike oily shines. I currently use 303 (which I like), but have to drive 30 miles to get it locally at $15 for 16 ounces.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions, and therefore could be wrong.

Dave

Scottwax
02-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Waiting on you to test them all Bret.

jerry@robs
02-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Was about to post the same thing as Dave... (I`m a Dave too hehe)...

2wheelsx2
02-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

If it makes your hands feel soapy, it`s a base, which means it`s alkaline. After all, that`s what soap is. If you get bleach on your hands, or anything that is very alkaline, it`ll feel soapy. If you get Fantastik on your hands, it`ll feel soapy.

SVR
02-12-2004, 03:57 AM
That du pont stuff is made by Tenneco Automotive, the auto maker of Monroe and Walker. They and Du Pont have combined to release teflon added car care products for the retail car care industry. As i have posted recently, teflon is only a surface smoothener and will not protect one little bit. While i was getting some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and other gear from Car Chem SA, the guys there said that they hate teflon as it flakes

The only reason i could see the wheel cleaner making future cleaning easier is that the teflon has slickened the surface and contaminants can`t stick to it as easy.

beanbag
02-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I`ve got some litmus strips coming so I`ll test the cleaner ASAP. I`ve noticed most acid based wheel cleaners have a sharp chemical odor but this stuff is very mild. Surfactants = soap and I don`t believe you can get an acid cleaner to foam with a foaming spray head. Worth a test, though.

eat some. bitter=basic, sour=acid

Afterwards, call your local poison control center

1999NCSU
02-12-2004, 07:14 AM
The NXT Protectant is something I might try (based solely on my experience with Meguiars). My concern with it is the description of it being "oily". Is this an accurate description once applied and buffed? I prefer a matte/satin sheen to my interior, and really dislike oily shines.

I`ve used the NXT Protectant. It was oily when I applied it. i used a foam pad and it went on very shiney. Buffed it out with a MF and it left a matte finish. I also don`t like shiney interiors. I really liked the look, but I can`t compare it to 303, YET.