PDA

View Full Version : Will DACP + yellow cutting pad take this off?? *pics*

nosed_b18b
02-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Hello all. I`ve had this integra for years, but haven`t really taken care of it as well as I should have. It has been through a lot of drifting/ street racing/ engines, but it`s still a good car. Unfortunately, I have to sell it soon. I was gonna clean it up a bit and put it up for sale. The only thing is that the trunk still has a bit of oxidation, or maybe the clearcoat`s gone. Anyways, I was gonna try a LC cutting pad + DACP to try and take it off. Let me know if that would be a good choice for this???

Also, this pic shows the separation of the trunk(top part) and the rest of how the car looks. The rest of the car is not in the best shape, but I know how to deal with it. I`m asking about the trunk portion.

*Sorry for the crappy pics. I`m using an old sony 2 mp sony.*:o

AMDin93103
02-11-2004, 05:09 PM
From what I can tell, those are embedded waterspots. As deep as mine were on my 4Runner I just bought, most believe it or not came out with (blackfire) clay. Of course I was doing a complete detail and continued on with DACP/Yellow pad which really brought a lot of "life" back into the paint.

-Stu.

nosed_b18b
02-11-2004, 05:11 PM
THat`s what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

But do you think anything higher would be more effective/necessary???

Dinzdale40
02-11-2004, 05:18 PM
If you need anything higher you could try Meguiars Fine Cut....but definitely start with DACP first....

stevet
02-12-2004, 12:13 AM
If you mean more abrasive when you say "higher" then you will need something else if DACP doesn`t work. Fine cut is a 5 on Megs abrasive scale, DACP is a 6.

CRXSi90
02-12-2004, 12:35 AM
I`d say that is water that is still wet. I see bigger problems than any water spots in the picture. The trunk appears oxidized, I can`t really tell how much. Should your reflection be in the trunk too, but it is just too oxidized?

You have DACP? Give it a shot if you do, I doubt the combo will be too agressive.

From what I`ve read, it sounds like Fine Cut has both chemical and abrasive cleaners, and might be pretty useful in this case. I have no actual experience with the product, others might suggest something similar, but stronger.

It is possible, I suppose, that the trunk was repainted with either less durable paint, or no clearcoat. [you`ll know if your pad turns red] I don`t think the clearcoat is gone, it was either never there in the first place, or very dull now.

nosed_b18b
02-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by CRXSi90

I`d say that is water that is still wet. I see bigger problems than any water spots in the picture. The trunk appears oxidized, I can`t really tell how much. Should your reflection be in the trunk too, but it is just too oxidized?

You have DACP? Give it a shot if you do, I doubt the combo will be too agressive.

From what I`ve read, it sounds like Fine Cut has both chemical and abrasive cleaners, and might be pretty useful in this case. I have no actual experience with the product, others might suggest something similar, but stronger.

It is possible, I suppose, that the trunk was repainted with either less durable paint, or no clearcoat. [you`ll know if your pad turns red] I don`t think the clearcoat is gone, it was either never there in the first place, or very dull now.

Yea, I agree with everything you said. The reflective part is not really in that great of condition, but it`s still better than the trunk part. It is pretty oxidized. But, if you think that`s bad, then you gotta check out my spoiler. If I have time tomorrow, I`ll take a picture.

nosed_b18b
02-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Ok, today I did a simple wash/clay. It is improved a slightly. I will be wetsanding this portion of the car on a later date, when I have time.

The top portion is still the trunk part. It`s the same side, but different angle. I had to get this angle so I could have some light.