PDA

View Full Version : Layering NXT

Murph1083
02-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Can NXT be layered?

Scottwax
02-10-2004, 09:16 PM
According to Mike Phillips, two thin layers works best.

I did just that on the blue Diablo I regularly detail, but it was raining the day I detailed it and even with decent lighting in the garage, it wasn`t enough for a quality pic. Looked pretty good, the second layer seemed to marginally improve the appearance. The next day when I went back to clean his Escalade (still raining too), it looked really good!

jerry@robs
02-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Does it require the usual X hrs of curing before layering? Doesn`t NXT contains cleaners?

Wang
02-11-2004, 11:51 PM
I worked hard to allow 12 hour cure time in between applications, but I manage four layers and it looks much more wet than with just one layer. My paint is so reflective even at night, it is only rivaled by the chrome trim around my cars beltline.

rstype
02-12-2004, 12:58 AM
My personal opinion is that NXT doesn`t layer. The improvement with additional applications is likely from the solvents that are cleaning and perfecting the paint even more. I`ll post more of my findings this Saturday.

Wang
02-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Some additional information to help with the finding out a difinitive. My paintwork is brand new on a brand new car. It is so new that the clearcoat layer had nothing on it when I received my car. I specifically told the selling dealer to not touch the paint at all, they simply removed the white shipping film and handed the car over to me after dealer prepping the interior, trunk, and engine compartment. The new paint clearcoat is not perfectly reflective when new, it has imperfections that make it look kind of hazy. for all of 8 new cars that i have purchased with clearcoat paint, the clearcoat layer can stand improvement easily by the addition of wax or other type of surface treatment. I am sure that those who work around new cars can attest to the paint not having a detailed or showcar look when fresh from the paint stalls at the factory. Maybe I am wrong. Any info is appreciated in helping to determine wheter NXT is simply smoothing the paint or building a more perfect single layer of NXT , or if it actually builds up in thickness causing more depth. I clearly see more depth in the clearcoat by multiple applications, but maybe I am biased and am actually only seeing more reflectivity. Interesting stuff, thanks for your input, this forum is great!

vprdak
02-24-2004, 01:19 AM
So can you do one layer of NXT right after the other or would it be best to let it cure for 12 or so hours??

BlueDragonZ
02-24-2004, 01:36 AM
I think I read a post by Mike Phillips saying to wait overnight then apply the second coat preferably without the car getting wet to get better results.

GoodnClean
02-24-2004, 02:40 AM
I dont see how NXT can be "perfecting" the paint further with a second coat. It seems to layer to me...

If it does perfect the paint that easily, it should cost 6 beeeelion dollars! :eek:

Scottwax
02-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Actually, I prefer a product I don`t have to layer, especially on my customer`s cars and I think they do too. Who really wants to pay someone to come out once a week for a month to add layers of protectant to their vehicle when there are a multitude of products that work just fine with one application?

imported_Greg
02-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Actually, I prefer a product I don`t have to layer, especially on my customer`s cars and I think they do too. Who really wants to pay someone to come out once a week for a month to add layers of protectant to their vehicle when there are a multitude of products that work just fine with one application?

But even Zaino or SG don`t have to be layered. People just choose to layer them.

vprdak
02-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Exactly i am just wondering how much of a benefit will be gained from layering one right after the other or just putting one coat and waiting overnight and putting another coat...

Scottwax
02-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Greg

But even Zaino or SG don`t have to be layered. People just choose to layer them.

True, but the lack of layering ability of NXT seems to the focus of those who use Klasse and Zaino for some reason.

GoodnClean
02-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Because its what singles it out as a "consumer grade" product.