PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive polishes...

GoodnClean
02-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Well guys, it was 55 degrees here today, so its making me think of that spring detail I`m gonna do...

So far I`ve ironed out what I`m going to do, the only wildcard is the abrasive polish. I have DACP, #9, SMR, PI-III-MG. I like DACP on other finishes, but for some reason on the Lexus I just can`t get it to break down enough and leave a pristine finish. There really isn`t anything serious on the car, just some micro-marring from washing it in the salty nasty winter weather, really got to crane and try to see it. I was planning on using PI-III-MG with a yellow pad then following up with PwC and a white pad, but am looking for another product to take the place of the PI-III (I`m not sure it will be abrasive enough).

What does everyone think? Menzerna, Megs Speed Glaze? I`m open to any and all suggestions, any experiences comparing these products to DACP and PI-III-MG will be extra super great.

Or, maybe the PI-III-MG will be enough...

Thanks gang :xyxthumbs

breakneckvtec
02-10-2004, 07:37 PM
I would use DACP and then follow it with #9 to remove any of the fine micro marring, but I hate to screw around with things that MIGHT do the job. I usually go against the autopian grain and use a heavy hitter like DACP to KO the swirls and then step down if need be. The way I see, and lets face it, its not like your going to go through the clear using DACP a few times a year. Dont mess around, take them swirls out the first time :xyxthumbs

Frank F.
02-10-2004, 07:39 PM
I just finished my black Porsche C4S. The car is three months old. I started with Menzerna IP and then FP. I was worried that the IP would be too abrasive for a new black car so I tried it on my motorhome. The IP did not leave swirl marks but it did cloud the finish a little. When I followed this with the FP the result was excellent. Next I used the Klasse twins and finally P21S Carnauba. I have learned a lot from this forum.

Thanks everyone.

GoodnClean
02-10-2004, 07:43 PM
I like DACP for removing swirls on most finishes, but I just can`t get it down right when it comes to the Lexus. I was thinking maybe something like the Menzerna twins would remove the marring and do it in a slightly more precise (the only word I can think of to describe it) manner...

Accumulator
02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
The 3M PI-III RC (pn 05933) is a lot milder than it sounds. Maybe IT would work better for you than the DACP. Then follow up with the MG. Some paints just respond better/worse to certain products than do other paints :nixweiss .

I myself REALLY like the 1Z line of polishes, maybe they`d be worth a look.

Plenty of people like the Menzerna polishes, there are so many good choices these days.

SamIam
02-11-2004, 12:04 PM
i agree with your choices.

I used to use the 3MRC and it worked pretty well in removing some scratches, followed up with 3M SMR FDC.

Now I use 1Z polishes, got the whole product line waiting for the weather to clear up. At first, I wasn`t sold on the Paint Polish, but then I pulled the car out into the daylight and it was: WOW. This stuff works.

Works great by hand or machine.

GoodnClean
02-11-2004, 07:07 PM
The 1Z polishes confuse me a little, I`ll have to do some searching.

Thanks guys, keep the advice commin!

Jesstzn
02-11-2004, 10:47 PM
I have had good luck with the Menzerna on my B5.5 .. used the IP where needed and the FP all over. And will again if spring ever gets here again. I like it cuz its water based and no fillers.

This was prepped with menzerna

Reflections (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/12805stang.jpg)

GoodnClean
02-12-2004, 12:23 AM
They`re relatively inexpensive, I suppose its worth a try!

chrisd
02-12-2004, 01:51 AM
I`m kind of partial to the 3M stuff. I know their products are expensive, but I`ve never had any problems with hazing or micromarring, whether using my rotary or my PC. Also, their pads and backing plates are among the best quality I`ve seen. I think 3M`s use of the name "rubbing compound" turns off many people with nice paint. But like a lot of people have said here, if you stick with the fine-cut and use reasonable speeds/pressure, it`s not all that aggressive. I`m not recommending you use it on a regular basis, but it`s certainly nothing like the old scratch-inducing products of yesteryear that also went by the name "rubbing compound".

togwt
02-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Quote: I just finished my black Porsche C4S. The car is three months old. I started with Menzerna IP and then FP. I was worried that the IP would be too abrasive for a new black car so I tried it on my motorhome. The IP did not leave swirl marks but it did cloud the finish a little. When I followed this with the FP the result was excellent. Next I used the Klasse twins and finally P21S Carnauba. I have learned a lot from this forum.

~One mans opinion / observation~

Frank F: Did I understand correctly, IP-FP-AIO-SG-P21S?

Why I’m questioning it is AIO contains a solvent cleaner and will remove anything else on the paint film surface. Its primary function is as a pre-cleaner to SG (or whatever wax sealant)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

SuperBuick
02-12-2004, 09:28 AM
TOGWT - I think his process makes sense because the menzerna line of polishes does not leave anything behind after you remove it. They are water-based with no fillers, so using AIO after polishing with the IP and FP isn`t "removing" anything. True, it`s cleaning abilities are going to waste because the menzerna polishes have already done that job and more, but I don`t think using the AIO in there is causing any harm or removing anything on the paint surface, because with menzerna, there shouldn`t be anything left over to remove (no oils or fillers)

-Tom

breakneckvtec
02-12-2004, 10:29 AM
~One mans opinion / observation~

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

TOGWT, I have to ask, WTF is this? I see it in all your posts and quite frankly, not to be a ****....its annoying trying to figure out where your post is in this garbage.