PDA

View Full Version : Is It OK To Wash WW and MF...

jmsc
02-10-2004, 05:44 PM
towels together in a machine wash or better to wash them separately?

I once washed cotton and mf together and that was a big-time mistake.

RTE60
02-10-2004, 05:57 PM
I do since they are both made of the same material just a different construction method

Mmmph
02-10-2004, 06:06 PM
I wash`em together...no problem...:xyxthumbs

Most importantly, though, I double rinse them together!

PakShak
02-10-2004, 06:14 PM
I wash my terry mf towels and ww mf towels together.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

tnoy66
02-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I was doing mine seperately :(

Not any more, thanks guys :)

tom p.
02-10-2004, 06:40 PM
With the recenct purchase of Ranney`s totally excellent WW drying towels, it`s lead to a minor crisis for me in that I am a big chenille wash mitt user. I end up having to do two separate loads of laundry whenever a car is washed which is kind of ridiculous. I guess I am going to try to convert to 100% MF towels and wash mitts to minimize the amount of laundry (water wasted) that needs to be done. I have been washing MF with a sheepskin wash mitt and seem to be getting away with that meaning no major lint problems on the MF towels.

Anyone else have suggestions on this?

thanks.

99323ic
02-10-2004, 06:59 PM
You won`t have to worry if it`s made of the same material. Sheepskin really doesn`t "lint" like cotton can. I prefer mf everything, myself.

imported_ajbarnes
02-10-2004, 07:13 PM
I wash together too. Never had a problem.:up

chris0626
02-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by tom p.

With the recenct purchase of Ranney`s totally excellent WW drying towels, it`s lead to a minor crisis for me in that I am a big chenille wash mitt user. I end up having to do two separate loads of laundry whenever a car is washed which is kind of ridiculous.

I was dealing with the same situation, tom -- running two loads -- one for my MFs and another for my chenille mitts. Then I attended a session taught by our Illustrious BradB, who made the point that I don`t have to wash my chenille mitts everytime. Now, after a carwash, I just wash the chenille mitts carefully/thoroughly in the wash bucket, then rinse thoroughly in the bucket, then hang to dry. And I think it`s saving a lot of wear on those chenille mitts. [Brad, I hope I`m correctly conveying and implementing your guidance.]

tom p.
02-10-2004, 08:32 PM
That makes sense and would save a lot of wear `n` tear on `em. My only concern is how dirty the chenille is at this time of the year. They`re real bad. :cool:

I will go back to the sheepskin mitts for a while and see how they do. I also ordered a couple more WW towels and several MF mitts from Ranney to complement the other items he`s sent me.

Mantic6t9
02-10-2004, 08:46 PM
I would take a quality sheepskin mit over a chenille anyday. It seems to me chenille traps more dirt then sheepskin mitts and MF mitts are even worse. That`s just my experiance.

chris0626
02-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by tom p.

That makes sense and would save a lot of wear `n` tear on `em. My only concern is how dirty the chenille is at this time of the year. They`re real bad. :cool:

Glad it sounds helpful to you, Tom. But since you mention yours get real dirty, I just gotta ask: Are you using the 2- (or 3) bucket method? When I do, my chenille mitts just don`t end up very dirty, no matter how dirty the car is. But ... living here in the tundra ... I can`t even remember when I last washed the car. :(

tom p.
02-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

... I just gotta ask: Are you using the 2- (or 3) bucket method? When I do, my chenille mitts just don`t end up very dirty, no matter how dirty the car is.

Lynn, no, just a single bucket. I created my own version of the Grit Guard but done with a little more thought.

I suppose I could/should do the multi-bucket method at this time of the year. The cars get pretty hideous.

I have been buying these chenille mitts (98% cotton) by Turtle Wax. Used to find them at Wally`s for around $2.50 and they`d easily last a year and have a very dense fibre count. No backing is ever exposed so I really like them...I can only find them nowadays at PepBoys.

I have never been crazy about the sheepskin - - real or faux. For some reason I just don`t like the heavy leather lining that`s used. It`s always rock-hard when I start washing and is only softening by the time I am done.:rolleyes: I guess I can start to pre-soak them to overcome this. Oh, well...life`s little challenges and annoyances....things could be worse.

Spilchy
02-11-2004, 11:44 AM
I love the sheepskin and really dislike the cotton mitts.

I use a 2 bucket method will 5 gallon buckets. I have them on dollys so I can wheel around the car! It saves the back.

To get back to the thread at hand, I do not wash my drying WW with my MF`s. In fact, I do not use detergent with my drying WW since they never get dirty because the exterior is spotless when I`m drying.

So every second car wash I just put it through the deliacte cycle on cold. Once in a while I`ll add a couple tablespoons of liquid detergent.

My MF`s only get washed with fragrance free, dye free liquid Tide.

Mantic6t9
02-11-2004, 12:25 PM
If the hide is hard on my sheepskin mitts i make my wash water and submerge my mitts in it. While they are soaking i clean my wheels by then they are plenty soft, at least the ones i use are.