PDA

View Full Version : Car show preperations! Autopian collaboration!

breakneckvtec
02-10-2004, 11:06 AM
I entered my 1999 Si in a car show for March 27th, Honda-Acura Challenge at Englishtown in NJ. Any of you NJ guys wanna come along I plan to bring some people along with me for when I show my car :xyxthumbs

Anyway, in preperation heres what I plan to do, I decided on a no BS approach to the paint prep and came up with this:

1) Wash

2) DACP

3) 3M SMR

4) NXT

I was wondering, how are meguiars foam polishing pads? I am planning on using them.

I also thought about doing a mini NJ detailing meet for this, maybe its stupid but I figured maybe some NJ autopians could get together at my house and help me out in getting her ready. Make it more or less a group effort for the show. I plan to do the detail March 17-19th, somewhere in that range and will finalize it closer to then. Thats a Wednesday - Friday for those wondering. If your interested just shoot me a message or post up here. This way the day of the show I can just wake up early, wash it, wax it do some trim detailing, dress the tires, etc and hit the road.

Let me know what you think about my plan of attack, meguiars pads, and interest on an autopian effort to get my car ready to WIN!

togwt
02-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Quote: Car show preparations! Autopian collaboration!

~One mans opinion / observation~

I not in the NJ area so I can’t help with your vehicle preparation, I would advice you to read DavidB article on the “Perfect Shine†though and I wish you Luck with your entry.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

togwt
02-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Quote: Car show preparations! Autopian collaboration!

~One mans opinion / observation~

I should have included this info in my reply (I didn`t do it to increase my `posts`, honest LOL)

Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done, here`s what I would try first, followed by more aggressive combinations.

W-8006/ScratchX

W-7006/ScratchX

W-8006/MPPC

W-7006/MPPC

W-8006/#83 DACP

W-7006/#83 DACP

The reason you want to try different combo`s especially with the ScratchX and the MPPC is because these two products are very different in their chemical make-up and will react very differently depending on the paint type.

For example, the ScratchX may work better on a clear coat, while the MPPC may work better on a single stage.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Richt
02-10-2004, 12:10 PM
I woulnt personally use products that would give the maxmium look to my paint.

Most probably megs no 9 or swirl free, followed by a a lighter polish autoglym super resin or s100, vanilla moose etc. The a couple of coats of a good hand glaze, mrgs no 7, 3m imperial hand glaze or megs hand polish and then top with a good carnuba.

brokentelephone
02-10-2004, 01:10 PM
dont forget to CLAY

breakneckvtec
02-10-2004, 03:32 PM
I took a leap of faith today, and figured since I will be polishing after words anyway decided to order some QEW and give it a shot. Hopefully I dont introduce new swirls in the process. If I QEW the car I can probably do my detail sooner than March....which I really want to, and worse comes to worse I dont like QEW, fix the swirls and never use it again. Hopefully it goes well.

medic159
02-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Don`t forget the engine and undercarriage... be sure to clean and plish in places you didn`t even know you had!

Also check the rules of the show, many shows require a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, owner`s manual and other items. Without them you could loose points.