PDA

View Full Version : How effective is distilled white vinegar?

zey
02-10-2004, 10:13 AM
To what extent, can distilled white vinegar remove water spots easily? I tried to apply it onto a basin, with full of 5 years old water spots, it won`t go off. I tried it on the weather strips of a 3 year old car, it won`t go off. I tried it on a 1 week old clear coated alloy wheel, it won`t go off too! Now I`m starting to lose the confidence of using it. BTW, I`m using Heinz Distilled White Vinegar...5% of acid content. Thanks!

WannaSRT-10
02-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Zey, my following application method has worked for the concrete splatter removal, you may find it applicable to water spots also...:

Need:

spray applicator

white distilled vinegar (which you have)

paper towels

Directions: Pour vinegar into spray applicator, and lightly mist the area in repair. You can lay on a small peice of paper towel (or use a whole sheet) on the area your desiring to impove, re-wet the peice of towel by lightly spraying it, make sure the area is saturated, and let soak for 15-20 minutes. Reapply vinegar if it dries. Your trying to get at least 15 minutes of saturation time. You need this time for the acids to dissolve the minerals in the water. This may only soften the minerals so further polishing or compounding may be needed. For concrete platter removal, use a razors edge to gently lift the debris off the painted surface, (You must use extreme caution while doing this, or you may end up digging into the clear coat.....or if its glass, scrape away safely.

Hope this helps, it worked extremely well for the splatter removal, much success !!

togwt
02-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Quote: How effective is distilled white vinegar?

~One mans opinion / observation~

It would depend upon how much the water spots have etched the glass surface. Diluted distilled white vinegar is step one and then you’d need to use something stronger. This is my glass cleaning method:

Outside glass –

· Wash glass surface to remove dirt, dust and etc

· Apply clay (Magic Clay) and lubricant solution (Woolite / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)

· Wash off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

· For ‘water spots’ use water/distilled white vinegar or an Isopropanol solution, 5:1 (adjust ratio as required) to dissolve the alkaline-based mineral water deposits.

· Apply a quarter size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish to a dry 100% cotton or Microfiber cloth

· Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side.

· Go over the glass several times in each direction. (Glass will polish virtually residue free.)

· Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Microfiber cloth.

· If any ‘water spots’ remain apply Distilled White Vinegar un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface.

· If this does not remove the ‘water spots’ use Autoglym Car Glass Polish and #0000 steel wool.

· Wipe off any residue from glass and dry with a damp waffle weave towel

· Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Gonzo
02-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Another thing you might try is to heat the vinegar until it is so warm you can just hold hand in it. Wet a cloth with the hot vinegar then wring it out to damp, then apply to your spots. maybe several time on the same area.

The idea behind DAMP is to the vinegar won`t migrate into a crack/crevice and start corrosion. (You should thoroughly rinse you vehicle afterwards anyway to thin out or wash away any errant drips).

The theory behind HOT is hot acid is always more aggressive than ambient temperature acid.