PDA

View Full Version : QD-QW. Worth the effort?

Mantic6t9
02-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Would it be worth the effort to apply a QD or QW after i wash my car? I wax it aleast once a month with s100 and wash it 3-5 times a month. I`m a little worried that these may remove wax and am under the impression that they don`t add much protection.

raymond_ho2002
02-09-2004, 03:15 AM
I think that`s a safe amount of time between waxing. A good number of people here wash 3 - 5 times before rewaxing here.

I personally don`t think qd`ing will add any more life to a wax.. If anything I`d guess that it would strip it faster, since a lot of them contain alcohol. But it sure makes the car seem shinier after you use it!! :D I would think that quick waxes would extend the life of your primary wax, though.

Scott P
02-09-2004, 08:03 AM
I almost always Quik Shine affter I was my car. QD`ing the car only takes a few mintues and I really like the way it looks when done.

NozeBleedSpeed
02-09-2004, 08:34 AM
I also think that QDs are really more to the detriment of waxes if anything. Some more than others. I think thats why manufacturers usually put carnauba in the mix. Its more to offset the loss by using a QD than it is to add to the existing wax. But... they really look great after QDing and most of us wax so often that it probably shouldnt be a concern anyway.

shaf
02-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Hmm, well this is interesting. Some time last summer or so, I recall reading most people thinking that QDing made waxes last longer.... :nixweiss

From what limited info I`ve seen I`m not sure that QDs have all that much alcohol or solvent in them. At least not enough to harm much. One reference is the 3M QD, which has about 1% if I remember right.

imported_Larry A
02-09-2004, 09:45 PM
I use QD all the time , I think that it adds shine and protection. It workes for me.

andriver
02-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Count me in as a QD user. Considering that I wax monthly, there is very little loss of wax.

Turbonator
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
i`d have to say that QDing definately helps wax last longer and provides temporary protection itself. i QD almost every one of my clients cars and even the ones that i wash every 2 weeks still bead up every time i do them. oh yeah, they wax about twice a year. it`s very deceptive to my clients cause they think because they see beads that they don`t need waxing. i have to explain this quite often that they do need to wax more, but they just opt for the wash anyway. that said, i reiterate that i believe there are definate benefits besides looks to QDing.

Mantic6t9
02-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Ok well i`m going to try it and decide for myself :) . I don`t want to order this stuff so what is a good OTS QD or QW I can find localy?

NozeBleedSpeed
02-10-2004, 12:03 AM
If you want something off of your local shelf, I would recommend EO Wet Wipe & Shine for one without carnauba. Its very inexpensive and works great. For one with carnauba, get Mothers. Besides working great the smell of cinnamon makes you want to use it. Both look better than most other QDs for their application and both are easy to use.

Mantic6t9
02-10-2004, 08:15 PM
I think i`ll try the EO Wet Wipe and Shine.

2wheelsx2
02-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

For one with carnauba, get Mothers. Besides working great the smell of cinnamon makes you want to use it. Both look better than most other QDs for their application and both are easy to use.

Are you sure Mother`s Showtime has carnauba? As far as I know, only EF Clear Pearl has carnauba....dang, I am going to have to check the label again when I go home. I have been using Showtime for quite some time, and really like it. It`s going to suck if I screwed some of my SG layers because of Showtime.

Mantic6t9
02-10-2004, 08:42 PM
What would you guys pick the mothers showtime or EO wet wipe and shine?

BMXer760
02-10-2004, 09:04 PM
I would pick mothers showtime, but that is my personal preference. I have used other QD waxes and they have also worked very well(with the shine). Just try them and you will find out which one you like. Plus you will use them up quickly.

shaf
02-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Showtime has no carnauba in it, and neither do any of the other retail-level QDs on the market. I understand Zymol has a retail QD out too, but I don`t know about that one... Carnauba content in QDs is uncommon, and is almost always proudly advertised.

Personally my decided favourite is Showtime. I have had no problems with it, it`s slick, I like cinnamon, (and has no health warnings on the label.... read into that what you will).

FWIW, I have not noticed a huge difference between QDs. It`s usually a mild slickness difference and scent... a lot like my criteria for choosing a shampoo too, now that I think about it! :lol

Most QDs will work fine with everything else, including those picky sealants (Gary :wavey :D).