PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Clear Coat Wheel Polish

Pages : [1] 2

imported_jgv
02-08-2004, 06:21 AM
This week I tried this product that is supposed to polish, clean and protect the clear coated wheels.

I used it first on my Summer 18" wheels, after washing and claying them. I apply it with a terry applicator, let it dry and buffed with a MF cloth. It left a very glossy, slick finish, like the one I get with AIO + SG, only easier.

Then, yesterday after washing my car, I polished the regular 16" wheels after only washing. It worked well on removing some baked brake dust and tar dots. After drying, I buffed it, leaving the same gloss and slickness.

If it protects as well as it polishes, it`s a winner to me :xyxthumbs

Spilchy
02-08-2004, 09:34 AM
I haven`t seen it sold anywhere.

My concern would be the durability.

Can it withstand the heat that the brakes produce and continue to protect the wheels?

Also, how is future clean up of the wheels? If you use wheel cleaner, will it come off?

I like AIO topped with Collinite Insulator Wax. This combo lasts months if you use car soap and water to clean.

CleanMachine
02-08-2004, 10:26 AM
I just did find a bottle of the clear coat wheel polish. I havent got to try it yet but Ill post the results when I do.

Thanks, Dave

imported_jgv
02-08-2004, 12:30 PM
I bought it from waxstation (waxstation.com). as I usually wash the wheels with car shampoo I don`t think there will be a problem.

Forrest mentioned about some polymer protection that would hold the heat.

As it was designed for use on wheels I guess it must work better than other products that weren`t.

forrest@mothers
02-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Yep, it`s a polymer based product.

Durability`s pretty decent, even with a wheel cleaner.

Brad B
02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I did the wheels of my Audi S4 and Mini Cooper S before winter set in and I am quite pleased with the durability. Good stuff! :xyxthumbs

spetulla
02-08-2004, 09:33 PM
how well would s100 work on clear coatedwheels? I put it on a customers car for free last week to test to see if it would help with brake dust cleaning. (for free of course)

shaf
02-09-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by forrest

Yep, it`s a polymer based product.

Durability`s pretty decent, even with a wheel cleaner. Forrest, are you saying that this product will live through being washed with a wheel cleaning product? :eek: Could you elaborate?

This isn`t something that`s been tested or discussed a lot, but I thought (assumed?) that wheel cleaners generally were all strong enough to blow away all forms of protection... :nixweiss

Speedwagon
04-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Might there be a followup to this? Been a few months, and I`m looking to get something good for my wheels.

imported_jgv
04-01-2004, 12:41 PM
It`s still my #1 product for wheels. Easy to use, great finish.

Mindflux
04-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Wasn`t there a discussion on this being the same stuff as wheelwax (wheelwax.com) ages ago?

imported_jgv
04-01-2004, 03:15 PM
AFAIK Mother Clear Coated Wheel Polish hasn`t nothing to do with WheelWax :confused:

Dinzdale40
04-01-2004, 03:32 PM
hmmmm....I may have to try this.....if It can stand up to wheel cleaner......

andriver
04-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by spetulla

how well would s100 work on clear coatedwheels? I put it on a customers car for free last week to test to see if it would help with brake dust cleaning. (for free of course)

Due to intense heat, the carnuba in S100 will not last very long.

forrest@mothers
04-02-2004, 01:42 AM
I must have missed 4DSC`s request for more info - sorry.

As a polymer based product, it will have a much longer lifespan than a carnauba based one on wheels, And no, it`s not the same stuff as Wheel Wax.

It stands up to the use of alkaline based cleaners, as well as our clear coat safe oxalic acid based cleaner. Of course, with just soap and water the lifespan is even longer.