PDA

View Full Version : New Grey Metallic Audi A8L and NXT Tech Wax

Wang
02-07-2004, 07:47 PM
I have quite a bit of experience using over the shelf products on new cars. 8 cars to be exact. My latest vehicle has Atlas Grey Metallic paint and is brand new. New paint jobs are not the shiniest looking paintjobs when compared to fine detailed ones. The reason is because the paint is relatively rough as it has micro crevices and is not perfectly flat and smooth- it is sprayed on and never leveled mechanically. Nevertheless its smoother than a damaged and oxidized finish so it tends to not hold wax very well. After having gone from Mother`s Carnuba paste I tried Zymol cleaner wax and finally Meguiar`g Gold Class. They all did well in keeping my paint job new looking, but it did not give me that top detailed reflection and depth that i am used to with older paint jobs that are intensely detailed (clay bar,cleaned, polished, sealant, glaze, waxed). NXT has partially solved this problem.

My impressions of a single application of NXT over my new paint job has left it closer to a professionally detailed show car look, not quite, but close! I still see a certain dullness(reflections are not perfectly sharp due to the sealant not smoothing the paint and filling in the pores enough.

NXT is like an all in one in that it removes water spots and road tar (this is a fact!). This leads me to believe that putting a second coat won`t do anything, but that is yet to be seen.

The conclusion so far is that NXT is the best final step synthetic stuff I have ever used that is store bought. Meguiar`s did their homework on this one, no doubt! Easy on Easy off with glaze like reflection and depth. I am fairly confident that it should live up to its durability claims, be we`ll see.

Pictures later

Scottwax
02-07-2004, 08:05 PM
:cool:

NXT looks even better with proper prep.

Wang
02-08-2004, 02:14 AM
I was skeptical at first, about applying more than one coat of NXT, thinking that it would remove the original coat of NXT. I was wrong. After the third coat (allowing at least a half hour between applications) my test panels are slicker than ever and have a small but noticeable increase of reflectivity. It feels very slick after 3 coats.

Next test will be seeing what happens with 5 or 6 coats total. I am hoping that I can achieve a perfect glass smoothness by using just NXT. It is so easy to apply and makes waxing very enjoyable. Again, my paint is virtually swirl free and new to begin with. If this goes well, my days of using carnauba are numbered. Carnauba tends to melt in the sunlight whereas synthetic sealants are supposed to be more stable and permanent. NXT seems to be the next stage of synthetic sealant technology for off the shelf products.

More later...