PDA

View Full Version : Wax durability depends on paint?

bcwang
02-06-2004, 04:37 PM
I had my rear bumper replaced in the past because of an accident. Since then, I`ve noticed that after waxing, the rear bumper stops beading water far before the rest of the car, including the front bumper. Seems like the paint they used must be different and not letting the wax get a good bond or something. Has anyone noticed something like this before?

C. Charles Hahn
02-06-2004, 05:22 PM
No big surprise..... Between the two vehicles I take constant care of, I could apply a coat of wax from the same jar and it would have completely different properties between the two vehicles.

Don
02-06-2004, 05:52 PM
The 1991 Ford T-Bird I had ATE wax...no matter what kind of wax I applied to the surface, even medium thick, it seems like it would "soak into" the paint...and durability was crap

TortoiseAWD
02-06-2004, 07:14 PM
If I`m not mistaken, the flex-additive that`s mixed into paint for bumpers makes the paint more porous (allowing it to flex wthout cracking). If that`s indeed the case, then it`s not surprising that sealants and waxes might react differently on those parts. Perhaps the re-paint on the rear bumper used more flex-additive

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think I read the bit about flex-additive and porosity in the e-book . . . (corrections welcome).

Tort

Scottwax
02-06-2004, 07:19 PM
I wash 2 S Class Mercedes (one is an S55, the other an S500) on Saturdays. Both cars are black, they live in the same neighborhood and both have offices right off a freeway. The S55 consistanly beads for about 3 months after waxing and the S500 is already beading poorly after 4-6 weeks (using the same prep and waxes). Go figure.

bcwang
02-07-2004, 03:06 AM
It must be that flex additive then. Probably didn`t use the same amount as the original paint. Guess that just means more frequent waxing of the rear bumper for me.