PDA

View Full Version : Prep Windows for Tint Job?

AMDin93103
02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
What should I prep my windows in my SUV or gf`s Subaru Wagon with. I know if I am going to a tinter I should expect the person completing the work to do a thourough job on the preperation for the tint but, I don`t trust no one as much as ME self in relation to cleanliness. At worst, its prepped. . .twice. Vinegar/Water solution? AIO? Amonia Based Cleaner? Any tips. Thanks people. :)

-Stu.

edit: just tinting my front windows and windshield in the Runner as the rest is done, the whole Suby is untouched.

imported_ajbarnes
02-05-2004, 02:04 PM
I would recommend wash, clay, and AIO to clean, prep, and protect.:xyxthumbs

nwf_snake
02-05-2004, 02:14 PM
I wouldn`t put anything on them that might leave a residue (clay, AIO). I think your vinegar/water solution and a lint-free towel to dry are a good idea. Even a non-ammonia glass cleaner is probably good. Sometimes I find that a cleaner-lubricated razor blade is also necessary to remove stickers/tough/old stains, but don`t apply much pressure.

imported_kgb
02-05-2004, 02:20 PM
I would just leave it for the tinter to do...most good places give a life time guarantee on bumbles, defects, scratches, fading and all that good stuff so they are going to do an A+ job.

LouisanaJeeper
02-05-2004, 02:43 PM
DO NOT AIO!!

I would just wipe down the surrounding trim on the door and do a once over on the glass with alcohol.

ZaneO
02-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Polish the glass if their are any pits or defects on it, then clean it with alcohol and you should be good to go.

stilez
02-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by 2001civicex

I would just leave it for the tinter to do...most good places give a life time guarantee on bumbles, defects, scratches, fading and all that good stuff so they are going to do an A+ job.

I agree. Find a good, reputable tinter and let them do the prep. I talked to the guys and they use a little bit of Dawn and water and newspaper to remove it. The tinter I use here in NY, warranty`s for life against, bubbling, separation, and fading. Good Luck...

BTW: NO NEED for a polish or protectant as they will probably affect the way the tint adhere`s to the glass.

JaCkaL829
02-05-2004, 04:25 PM
I would make sure all stickers and adhesive are removed. I`ve had great results with Goof Off Professional Strenght for stickers. These are things that the tinter SHOULD be doing though. Other then that if you wanna double clean, i`d suggest a good window cleaner wit newspaper.

BTW what do u mean tinting the windshield? Are you doing just a banner or the entire the windshield? I would strong suggest you don`t tint the entire windshield. It is extremely dangerous and illegal. My friend`s impala is tinted (20%) all the way round and the banner and at night its pretty dark in there. I can`t imagine the windshield tinted, it`d be impossible to see.

LouisanaJeeper
02-05-2004, 07:21 PM
btw, expect any traffic violation to become a major ordeal w/ a windshield tinted, front windows tinted.... cop on the megaphone, hands out of the window, lie on the ground, the whole nine. They expect you are trying to conceal something b/c of the heavy tint.

AMDin93103
02-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Jeeper, I am just going to do a 4" strip along the top of my windshield. Youre probably right about the run in with the cops. Doesn`t sound fun. They aren`t always nice guys.

A reputable tinter would be easier to find if all the tinters in SB weren`t reputable. We have 3. Yep, 3in SB. I pulled the one I am going to offa tintdude.com. Little expensive, $110 for the front two windows and windshield in 3M. Sounds outrageously high but if they can back their work up, cool. I have two other cars to be done and if they can`t cut $ome $lack they can tint someone elses autos that day.

I had a sloppy tint job on my previous car, an 850 turbo. Friends recommended him, $200 cash for whole sedan, not cool. I don`t think the guy prepped too well at all. Hense, my original post.

I think I will inspect the windows with a razor blade and alchohol, and make sure the guys know I am an anal mo&^$& (&^*er :wavey

I apprectiate averybody taking the time to respond. I can always count on you people to give me the answers.

-Stu.

shaf
02-06-2004, 02:38 AM
I`ll also be doing some tint later on in the year, and I think that before I go in for it I would make sure that there are not light scratches or scuffing on the inside first that I would try and remove with glass polish. After that I`d clean the windows with glass cleaner and MF and debate if I should go over it with lighter fluid or not, as this is a pretty strong cleaner that people use to strip stuff like Rain-ecch off. ;) I probably would, just to get it down to bare glass for them...

rleven
02-06-2004, 04:57 AM
I always use Autoglym Glass Polish either by hand or with a PC if there is noticable spots or sap or anything on the glass before sending my cars to the tinter. They just clean it with a glass cleaner and will put the tint over any small stuff if it is to hard to get off. Even reputable ones. They are only getting <200 for the job and won;t spend as much time on perfection as we will.

AMDin93103
02-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by rleven

They are only getting <200 for the job and won;t spend as much time on perfection as we will.

:xyxthumbs

-Stu.

BTW. Thanks again. I will post pics of the results.