PDA

View Full Version : Hand waxing and polishing

blkis3
02-05-2004, 02:11 AM
So i have this lexus is 300 now and its not in terrible shape but it could def. be in a lot better. Things i need to tackle are swirl marks (especially since the car is black) and shine.

Now i know that SMR will work good, but will this work ok for me if i am just using my hands and no PC. Any comments on what other products remove swirls but are also easy to use without a porter cable. Thanks

I will most likely also use P21s, if this helps at all.

My car is a daily driver, so keep this in mind also. Sometimes the car is parked outside overnight also. So durability is important . (i know p21s isnt the best for this)

basically i just want to see what you all would use to remove swirl marks, on a black car by hand. (i want all thw swirls gone by the way haha) Thanks,

Graham

togwt
02-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Quote: Hand waxing and polishing

~One mans opinion / observation~

Swirl marks: Meguier’s ScratchX is a hand applied swirl mark remover

Durability: a polymer sealant like Meguire’s NXT can also be hand applied to a cleaned paint filmed surface (Megs ColorX is a good product for this)

P21S: you could use this a ‘topper’ for NXT (but from what some have said it’s unnecessary.)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

70fastback
02-05-2004, 10:06 AM
This may have some important info for you.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23283&highlight=lexus+scottwax

Hopefully, Scott will see this thread title and offer some tips for you to try.

I`ve always wondered, Scott, can you see your hand moving while you`re working a polish. Or, is it moving sooooo fast its a blur.;)

imported_WCD
02-06-2004, 12:27 AM
I don`t think you can remove swirl marks by hand but there are great products that can hide them and if you wash with care and apply quality products, you won`t see them.

Robert Regan

Accumulator
02-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Whether you can remove marring by hand depends on how bad the marring is and, somewhat, on what kind of paint you`re dealing with. BTW, isn`t Lexus IS300 black SINGLE STAGE? I thought I heard it`s a thin, SS...

I don`t recall hearing that Lexus paint (either ss or basecoat/clear) is too hard, so you can probably work it OK by hand. Anything you can do with a PC you can do by hand if you have the time and determination. Anything that requires a rotary, well, it requires a rotary so there might be some marring you can`t get out. Gotta know when to say "good enough" no matter HOW you tackle it.

*IMO*, the 1Z line of polishes are BY FAR the easiest to work by hand. 3M`s PI-III line is, IMO, probably second, but the 1z stuff is amazingly user-friendly. ScratchX is popular, but *I* haven`t tried it, so I can`t comment. But I sure can`t imagine ANYTHING being easier than the 1Z stuff. How`s that for a hard-sell ;) :o :D

If you like P21s but want better durability, try Meg`s #16. It looks a LOT like P21s but it lasts a LONG time, and it works great on "outside" cars (self-cleaning in the rain, etc.). One can will last for years.

Glossequation
02-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

If you like P21s but want better durability, try Meg`s #16. It looks a LOT like P21s but it lasts a LONG time, and it works great on "outside" cars (self-cleaning in the rain, etc.). One can will last for years.

I second this motion regarding #16 :up