PDA

View Full Version : Lost in so many sealent and waxes

Pages : [1] 2

Murph1083
02-04-2004, 06:25 PM
There are so many different waxes and sealants out there. (poorboys, Clear Kote, Zaino, P21S, Pinnacle, etc) I want to try some but there’s so many and of course, money is a problem. Can anyone make some recommendations and hopefully include some pics?

Jngrbrdman
02-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Man, that`s what this website is all about. Every thread is full of recomendations and pictures. Spend some time in the Product Review forum and that should help out. Things that are important to know before suggesting products are what color is your car? Are you looking for looks or durability? What environment will the car be in? Do you have a machine to polish with? What do you have access to? Lots of variables are involved in choosing a product that is right for you. Its not something that someone can just suggest. Everybody has their favorites, but I don`t know many people that use one product exclusively on every single vehicle they detail. Even the Zaino die hards will admit that another product may be more appropriate for certian applications.

Vadar
02-04-2004, 06:54 PM
I`m going to argue that it doesn`t matter what you use. The key is paint preparation. Do your best to make the paint look good, then whatever wax/sealant you decide to use will look good. Until you have years of detailing experience, odds are that type of wax/sealant you use will not make a difference.

If you want something available locally, I would suggest going down to the autoparts store and looking at some of the Meguiars or Mothers products. You wont go wrong with either line of products, and they are inexpensive.

As you perfect your paint prep technique, you may want to experiment with other types of waxes or sealant. Or you may just be happy with what you`ve been using.

imported_ajbarnes
02-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Dom

I`m going to argue that it doesn`t matter what you use. The key is paint preparation.

:xyxthumbs

Scottwax
02-04-2004, 07:17 PM
You can go through my gallery and see that I use a wide variety of products and they all look pretty good. The key is to finding the products that give you the look and durability you are looking for.

WannaSRT-10
02-04-2004, 07:20 PM
I would recommend starting with the Meg`s brand, and learn what cleaners, polishes, glazes, and sealants/waxes can do for you. Once you understand their characteristics, you can branch out, and purchase new products, and then go thru the whole cycle again. Each brand/product responds different to your techiniques, and surfaces applied to. Experiment, experiment, experiment......

Jcrawford
02-04-2004, 08:14 PM
I think i could safely say that a good first combo would be the Klasse Twins (AIO/SG) w/ a carnuba wax topper. Thats what i use and am always tweaking my gameplan. that`s what got me started and it is a very high quality combo.

thinksnow
02-04-2004, 09:22 PM
You are dealing with very marginal percentage increases in appearance, especially with beauty OWNED by the beholder. For easier reference, make a list of the frequently mentioned products. Then search for those products one at a time. Make notes about people`s experiences (Zaino optically clear, no scratch hiding/Klasse layerable/S100 easy to find). Compare notes and start experimenting. Get some locally available products, use them, and compare your experiences to those of others who have used them. Then you can find other comparisons and know what to expect (you buy and use #26 then read about comparisons between 26 and S100 and comparisons between carnubas like 26 and sealants). I have changed favorites several times, but that may just be an obsession with buying new things. Have fun and keep learning. Luckily, there are some Mount Olympus residents on here so you will ALWAYS have something to strive for.

jimmybuffit
02-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Murph1083:

You did not tell us the age, or make, of the vehicle. Single stage or clearcoat?

Proper paint prep is certainly the correct answer. Do you have access to a PC?

All those products (BTW, you`re combining waxes and sealants in your list) mean nothing if the paint is not ready to accept them.

Keep reading.

Jim

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Dom

I`m going to argue that it doesn`t matter what you use.

Murph1083,

The `process` is much more important than the `products`.

Just my thoughts...

imported_jgv
02-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Or you can follow my route and BUY EVERYONE OUT THERE :shocked :D :D :D

togwt
02-05-2004, 11:06 AM
~One mans opinion / observation~

~The Keys To Success~

PRACTICE ~ learn ‘how to’ use tools

PREPARATION ~ the final finish can only be as good as the prepared surface it’s applied to

PROCESS ~ learn what products really work and in what order to apply them

PRODUCTS ~ what’s available and what ‘fixes’ a given paint condition

PATIENCE ~ it’s the journey not the arriving, so enjoy

PRIDE ~ in a job done to the best of your ability

It really does all come down to; 90% preparation, 5% product and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

imported_ajbarnes
02-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by jgv

Or you can follow my route and BUY EVERYONE OUT THERE :shocked :D :D :D

The very reason I am broke now!!:(

:D

tom p.
02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
you`ve said nothing about your expectations or how often you are willing to wax/polish, etc. If you provide some input as to what you are looking for, you`ll find people to be very helpful.

Much of this info is subjective. One person`s opinion of Product X could very 180 degrees opposite of another.

If $$ are truly an issue, I would just drop $40 on the Klasse dynamic duo and call it a day. 98.7% of the population at Autopia really admire this product for its ease of use, exceptional longevity and excellent appearance. That $40 investment will last the average user a long time.

chris0626
02-05-2004, 07:50 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but it`s equally relevant (or irrelevant ;) ) here, I think.

Originally posted by Lynn

We interrupt this thread to bring you a nit-pickin` little message from one of your Moderators.

Maybe this is a good time (since I note the thread originated from a new Autopian) to remind folks about two nifty features at Autopia.

First, the Product Reviews section is sadly underutilized. You can access it from the link at the top of all the pages. Or just go right here (http://www.autopia.org/review/index.php) and click on the section that interests you.

Second, in the words of some great Autopians, "The search engine is your friend." :D In this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24657) -- which, by the way, begins with a then-newbie`s "testimonial" on how useful the search engine and archives are -- several folks explain why we usually can learn a lot more by searching than we can from any single thread.

I am really NOT "going-off" on you, vprdak. But your query and some of the follow-on questions remind me that sometimes we forgot about the other great resources that are available to us here at Autopia.

We now return to our regularly-scheduled programming.

Nobody can give you a simple "prescription."

What many folks have said here is key: prep is like 90% of success.

Beyond that, you`re going to have to decide:

1. Must I use a glaze because I couldn`t get all the scratches/swirls out?

2. If so, does the chemical composition of that glaze rule out certain waxes/sealants? (E.g., you can`t use Zaino over most glazes.)

3. Which do I value more -- the longevity of a polymer sealant or the ease of use of a wax? Related to that: Am I willing to wax often? or do I want the longevity of a sealant?

4. Then, you`re read to look at various waxes or sealants, and the Product Reviews and various threads here will help you.

And ... as others have said, you haven`t given us any info on what vehicle you`re dealing with or what your objectives are. :nixweiss