PDA

View Full Version : What to use on new Black Explorer

brannong
02-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Bought the wife an 03 Black Limited Edition Explorer last fall. Suprisingly the factory wax is still beading fairly nicely mostly in part to being garage kept i guess. I know its time to polish and wax but I want to do it the right way. I just ordered one of towel packs from pak shak. I am sure that there are probably some swirls since I have learned from this website that I have been going at washing it all wrong. My question is what do you recommend me using on the Explorer? I think I am leaning more towards the new NXT for final coat.

Thanks..

imported_ajbarnes
02-03-2004, 11:03 PM
There are alot of options. But, since you want to use NXT as a topper, I would suggest looking at some of the current NXT threads and check out some combos the others` are using and go from there. A few have some pictures up showing the results. Good luck and welcome to autopia!:xyxthumbs :welcome

GoodnClean
02-03-2004, 11:20 PM
The 03 Black Limiteds look great, chrome wheels? I have a 97 Limited, the Explorer is a very misunderstood vehicle :D

Have you looked into purchasing a Porter Cable polisher? The Explorer is big (the new one is even bigger than mine) and thats why I originally bought the polisher back before I knew about Autopia but its an awesome tool, and really the only way to go about removing swirls.

brannong
02-04-2004, 01:32 AM
I have read some threads about the porter cable being easy to use, but I must say its a little intimdating. I have heard so many horry stories about buffer burn, and that they are really on suitable for professionals. I really just don`t want to make a mess. As for the NXT, it doesn`t have to be that if there is something superior to it. Its just that I have only used Meguiars products in the past and from what little I know I have had good luck. Open to suggestions though.

brannong
02-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Oh and yes chrome wheels and roof rack. This has nothing to do with car care but the factory 600 watt sound system is awesome with the sub.

GoodnClean
02-04-2004, 02:09 AM
No reason to be afraid of the Porter Cable, its not a rotary buffer and it is extremely hard to burn the paint with it. If you want to remove the swirls for good you`re really going to need one...