PDA

View Full Version : Hang on one sec....7424 users help me

breakneckvtec
02-02-2004, 01:46 PM
I bought CMA pads last year and want to replace them with new, I liked them alot. I was 99% sure they were 6" pads. I looked on www.properautocare.com where I got them the first time and all they have are 7.5" pads that dont look like the ones I had last season. Whats going on?

imported_kgb
02-02-2004, 01:48 PM
You are just looking at the wrong pads. I, for one, love the 7.5" over the 6" pads.

Try here: http://www.properautocare.com/porcabac.html

breakneckvtec
02-02-2004, 01:51 PM
I figured it out :p

They changed the heading name, thanks

Will those 7.5" pads work with my 6" backing plate? I like the fact that it wraps up around the edge of the backing plate to prevent contact with the paint.

imported_kgb
02-02-2004, 01:55 PM
You actually want the 7.5" with the 6" backing plate. The 6" pads should take a 5" or 5.5" backing plate to give you more "cushion" between the plate and edge of the pad. The 6" plate fits perfect with the 7.5" pads. :D

breakneckvtec
02-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Whats the deal with the hole in the center of the 7.5" pads?

Thanks for the help so far as well :up

imported_kgb
02-02-2004, 02:11 PM
The hole is there so you can use it with the buffers that bolt the pad to the middle is all.

And no problem-o.

breakneckvtec
02-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Why does having a velcro pad behind that hole worry me?

imported_kgb
02-02-2004, 02:22 PM
haha, I don`t know? There is nothing to worry about though. The 7.5" have a sort of plastic backing between the velcro and the pad. They are really much better and durable than the 6".

CRXSi90
02-02-2004, 08:03 PM
I`d like to comment on the hole in the middle. I could list a lot of things not to do with it, but I think it`d be more beneficial to tell you what I know it is used for. It is a pad centering hole, most useful on rotary polishers so they don`t get off ballance. You put a peg through the hole in the pad, and the backing plate also has a little impression in the center that the peg and hole match up to.

Does that make sense?

And think about how much pad you would have to compress to have the velcro "hook" side of the pad hit the car: quite a bit. I wouldn`t be worried. At least I`m planning on not being worried. We`ll see this spring!