PDA

View Full Version : polishes on metallic paints

6']['9
02-02-2004, 11:23 AM
is there any difference when polishing/glazing metallics paint. i see souveran and 1z offer a polish/glaze for metallic paints, i dont think this would be any different in bringing out the shine on the vehicle over a regular polish/glaze or am i incorrect if so please correct me ......

Accumulator
02-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Nah, you treat them all the same. I have metallics that are straight lacquer and basecoat/clear, and I used to have them in straight acrylic enamel. I`ve had NON metallic paints of those paint types too. No difference in how you treat them. The metallic particles are in the paint (old-style straight lacquer), or UNDER the top layer of it (some lacquers, acrylic enamel and basecoat/clear). That`s SLIGHTLY over-simplified, but not inaccurate.

There IS a difference in how some products LOOK on metallics, though. MANY people sorta prefer a synthetic-product look on metallics, that`s one reason why SOME people prefer Pinnacle`s Paste Glaz (which is misnamed, it`s a wax, not a glaze) over Souveran for them.

The 1Z "Metallic" polish isn`t really MADE DIFFERENTLY FOR metallic paints, it`s just a name. They even put a disclaimer sticker on the can that says "great for NON metallic paints too!", or words to that effect.