PDA

View Full Version : Picking a good detailshop?

cayenneak
01-31-2004, 03:29 PM
I am a sort of a clean freak. Have a 04 Porsche Cayenne S up here in Anchorage AK. It is hard to watch it collect tar and grime throughout the winter months...but part of the price of living here. I am starting to look for a detail shop to clean the car every few months...my questions are: There are only about 8 places that offer detailing in the city, how do I choose the right one? Is there harm in a full detail every 3-4 months? Anyone have any references for Alaska? Quick thoughts on "Laser Washes" (touch less automatic carwash)? Thanks......Newbie Clean Freak AK

:wavey

ZaneO
01-31-2004, 05:58 PM
When looking for a detail shop, I would ask what products they use, and ask for pictures, etc. of work they have done. The best is actual work and references.

The more often your car is cared for, the better condition it will be in, assuming someone knows what they are doing.

Laser washes are helpful at getting the mud, snow, salt, etc. off the vehicle, but I personally don`t like them because the pressure of the water could scratch the finish as debris is being pushed around.

Spilchy
01-31-2004, 07:08 PM
Use your street smarts. A lot of it is common sense.

What type of guy is he? Is he nice, approachable, eager, willing and happy to answer your questions? Does he answer your questions to your satisfaction?

What kind of tools does he have? What do his employees look like? Who will be working on your car? What products is he using? What method and steps will he use on the vehicle? What is his philosophy about detailing?

What is his shop like? Is it clean, organized, professional with good lighting?

Are there examples of his work in his shop? Can you call references?

The idea is to get an overall picture about what makes this guy tick. It`s like picking a contractor to paint your home.

When people talk with me, I can talk for ages with them about detailing. I love it; I have a blast. I talk products, methods for their specific car based on it`s condition and my overall passion for it. I answer any question they have truthfully and make sure I have satisfied all their inquiries.

jerry@robs
01-31-2004, 07:39 PM
If choices are that low.... and you have gathered enough knowledge here in Autopia, I`d say DIY!!!

Scottwax
01-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Look at the vehicles parked on the lot. I`d start my search with the one that consistantly has high end cars.

YellowC4S
01-31-2004, 09:24 PM
The one place that was recommended to me uses Blue Coral products. What is the general consensus on Blue Coral?

imported_COBRyan
01-31-2004, 09:32 PM
I use Blue Coral`s Car Wash Gel but that is all. The rest of their products will never touch my cars.

ZaneO
01-31-2004, 09:42 PM
Blue Corral = Turtle Wax in my mind.

*sarcasm* I have seen it do great things on a Vette *sarcasm*

imported_kgb
01-31-2004, 10:05 PM
I used to use the pink Blue Coral car wash back in the day. I would not use their other stuff though.

imported_BretFraz
01-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Turtle Wax and Blue Coral are the two largest companies in the car care products industry. Both are much larger than companies like Meguiars.

Many detail shops and car washes use Blue Coral because of the huge product line, competitive prices, local sales reps and distributors, and all the other support a company of their size can offer.

Blue Coral is not targeted to enthusiasts which is why it gets a cold reception at forums like this one. If you want enthusiast products to be used on your car, you need to find someone who uses them.

Scottwax
01-31-2004, 11:43 PM
Blue Corral is more suited to the assembly line detail shops, not the detailers who stick with privately owned vehicles.

The higher end shops at least use Meguiars and 3Ms professional lines.

jimmybuffit
02-01-2004, 02:13 AM
You`ve recieved good advice so far...

A `full` detail every few months might be overkill, even in your environment.

Once the vehicle is properly prepped with a quality sealant, wash and wax monthly should be enough.

The full detail is usually a twice a year thing...

Nice Ride!

Jim

cayenneak
02-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Great board!...I will learn a lot here......AK:xyxthumbs