PDA

View Full Version : Windows making scratching noise

SNapz
01-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Just wondering what I can do to get rid of the dirt or whatever is making the scratching noise when I put my windows up or down.

It`s a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer. Nice inexpensive car but the scratching noise coming from the windows whenever they go up or down is horrible.

Thanks.

imported_COBRyan
01-31-2004, 01:09 AM
This is common on Mustangs as well. A little bit of spray silicone on the window tracks will get rid of the sound!

SNapz
01-31-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks,

Ill give that a try.

imported_garyo
01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Since it is a 2003 I would be taking it back to the dealer for warranty work. You didn`t mention wheter it was a power window but I am going to assume it is. It could be part of windo motor or part of the arms that raise and lower the window. Also don`t rule out there could be a problem with the track inside the door. I recently had to replace one of the tracks on my wifes BMW (actually covered by certified pre-owned warranty). It seems that a portion of the track inside the door had broken and was causing this aweful scratching/scraping noise when the window was lowered or raised.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by COBRyan

A little bit of spray silicone on the window tracks will get rid of the sound!

I would also recommend cleaning the outer edge of the weather strip that is in contact with the outside glass.

That scratching sound is probably being caused by fine dirt particles that are stuck between the weather strip and the glass. This is very common.

Simply take a toothbrush or a thin piece of either heavy gage paper or thin stiff cardboard and clean in-between the weather strip and glass. Then you can apply the silicone. Although it may not be necessary.

Lowejackson
01-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Sounds like a mechanical problem of some sort, get your dealer to check it out.

It is still a good idea to clean the glass, rubber stripping and tracks.