PDA

View Full Version : Please respond FORMER zaino users

Pages : [1] 2

imported_NHBFAN
01-30-2004, 05:36 PM
I`ve tried almost every product out there, but I`ve never tried Zaino.

I`ve heard many Z testimonals.

I`d like to hear from former Zaino users to see why they dropped Z and what they use now.

topnotchtouch
01-30-2004, 05:42 PM
I think the main reason you will find people move away from Zaino is one of personal preferences and has to do with how it makes the paint look rather than performance issues. You have probably heard the "plastic" look comment more than once. Sure you can top it with a carnauba but, then you have to remove the carnauba if you want to put more Z on. For me it just wasn`t worth the trouble to get the look I wanted. I wax once a month religiously so Z just didn`t work out for me. I do still use it on other family member`s cars for the durability since I am the only Autopian in the family.

My favorite routine has been Meguiars #7 or #81 topped with #26. This combo gives the red paint on my Mustang the dark and deep wet gloss that I like.

I am still getting used to NXT Tech Wax but, so far I really like it. It does not darken my paint quite as much as #26 but, it makes the metal flake in my paint just pop and the deep wet gloss is also there.

SuperBuick
01-30-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree with rjstaff - its strong suit is its durability, and for an autopian who`s waxing his car every 2 weeks...durability wasn`t an issue. the product looks "ok", but its not the end-all be-all of shine like so many on other forums proclaim it to be. I think that image goes around because its one of the few "enthusiast" products that regular people try, and as such they think its the holy grail. I prefer the look of other products - other products with less durability - but as aforementioned that`s not an issue for me. I just can`t get past the saran wrap look of zaino.

-Tom

Vadar
01-30-2004, 05:55 PM
I thought it was inconvenient to use for the first time, you wash the car, then polish, then wash again before you can put it on. Then apply Z1, apply Z2, wait an hour, buff off (OK, this was before ZFX).

The ability to layer was nice, but then you coudn`t use any other product. Need to use the Z6 as a QD. I didn`t like the idea that you had to use only zaino products.

I just got tired of it.

Now I use primarily Mother`s Reflections. It`s available off the shelf, cheap. It lasts a while (maybe not as long as Zaino though). If I want, I can top it with S100. Or, I can QD with Meguiars (or any other QD I happen to have around). I don`t have to go over the car twice, or do 2 washes.

As far as looks, I think the Zaino looked pretty good. But then again, so do most other products out there. As long as you do the proper prep beforehand, you car will look good.

Dom

MBZ 500E
01-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Ditto to rjstaaf`s post. I found that Zaino hid my metallic flakes and left a "sterile" look to my car.

I also use the leftover Zaino on my families car and also on my wheels. Doubt I`ll buy more.

Current favorites are 1ZPP topped with Nxt both applied by hand.:)

raymond_ho2002
01-30-2004, 06:07 PM
I used to use zaino. I switched to klasse and s100, meguiar`s, and clearkote products.

I dropped zaino because:

-it dusted more than other products

-i felt confined within the zaino system.. They make you feel guilty for even using non-zaino QD!

-I like s100`s wipe-on/off feature. I didn`t mind applying often because something felt wrong about not applying something for over a month. S100 lets me do this quickly, without any wait time. Sometimes I will only use vanilla moose, and I use it in the same way I do s100- wipe on/off.

Things I miss about zaino:

-wiped on and wiped off easier than anything else I`ve used

-smells nice! As weird as it sounds, I think this factor has a lot to do with why some people seem to go crazy about it.

I never much understood what this plastic effect was that people talk about. Side by side on the same car, i cannot tell the difference between s100 and zaino.

imported_jgv
01-30-2004, 06:36 PM
See why I want to try the Z? some say this some say that...:nixweiss I`d like to make my own (and to myself) opinion.

Also, looks like it`s not so stick by Z only, you can use AIO, Megs FI, etc. It`s a myth that you can only use their products as well as the procedure can change, Z2, I think, is the most important product to get.

I`m still waiting to try it.

imported_Aurora40
01-30-2004, 07:30 PM
I posted my opinion here: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27597

Turbonator
01-30-2004, 08:23 PM
why i stopped using zaino was because of all the layering and like the others said, i felt confined to the system. it is a better than average product, but now i use 1Z because down here in N`awlins i found it lasts longer than anything else i`ve tried. besides it`s durability it`s much more resistent to bug stains, sap, tree stains, leaf stains, etc. etc. the zaino was more prone to staining than any of the 1Z products i use. the one good thing about zainio was it taught me to put on really thin coats when doing by hand. that comes in handy when using 1Z products cuz you don`t need much to do an entire car.

jgv, your zaino samples are on the way. hopefully they won`t get held up in customs or anything. unfortunately i only had a little z2 left. if you put it on really thin you`ll probably be ables to do all the flat surfaces of a car(hood,roof,trunk). hope you enjoy`em when you get`em. let me know when you get`em too. i want know how long it takes stuff to get overseas.

Jesstzn
01-30-2004, 11:38 PM
I currently use Zaino .. like the looks .. like the durability but AM thinking of moving to Klasse and the reason is .....

If you happen to have to polish out any flaw you inheret, and on black you get them, your back to mixing ZFX and Z2 in quantities enought to do 1/4 of a car. Seems like every show I went to last year someone rubbed thier purse or something over the fender or down the door and marred it. Once it was a hick kid and a Hot Wheels down 2 of my doors and over the trunk of a 69 Parriesianne next to me.

I am thinking Klasse will be close and easier to live with.

MBZ 500E
01-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Once it was a hick kid and a Hot Wheels down 2 of my doors and over the trunk of a 69 Parriesianne next to me

I`d be livid if I ever saw this happen. I`d politely pull the parent aside (since you know it`s not the kids fault) and teach them about respecting other peoples property.:angry

Another popular way of getting scratches into cars is someones dog getting excited and putting it`s dirty paws on the doors and leaving nice deep nail scratches. I can`t even count how many times I`ve seen this happen.:(

I wanted to add something else regarding Zaino. On my wifes Silver CRV Zaino looks excellent. I typically wax her car every 3 months starting with Z1 and then to Z2. I don`t bother trying to stay within the Zaino product line in between waxing and I haven`t used Dawn on her car since we bought it. I still get about 3 months of protection and 1 month of good shine.:up

Newport Viper
01-31-2004, 02:47 PM
I was very loyal to Zaino. Then this happened!:bow

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32378

EDBSO
01-31-2004, 05:09 PM
I used to use zaino. I switched to the klasse twins and s100.

The twins are a bear to apply and remove compared to Zaino.

Why switch "The grass is always greener."

Next ... NXT why because it is there. Really liked Zaino. Felt that the twins hid scratches much better.

imported_NHBFAN
01-31-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Newport Viper

I was very loyal to Zaino. Then this happened!:bow

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32378

Wow, that`s a very strong testimonal for NXT.

BTW, great car!

imported_Intermezzo
01-31-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Dom

Now I use primarily Mother`s Reflections. It`s available off the shelf, cheap. It lasts a while (maybe not as long as Zaino though). If I want, I can top it with S100. Or, I can QD with Meguiars (or any other QD I happen to have around). I don`t have to go over the car twice, or do 2 washes.

Me too. Mother`s Reflections is fast becoming my favorite product. I still love Z and continue to use it once in a while, but I find myself reaching for the Reflections bottle the most lately. I like it not because I think it has the undisputed best shine or anything, but rather because its user-friendliness. Slap it on, thick or thin, the product dries to a haze in less than a minute and removal just couldn`t be any easier. Leaves a wicked shine and a smooth, slick surface.