PDA

View Full Version : What should I use on this?

! apmljv
01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
I`m not sure if this is the place to ask, but I have question about my moonroof making squeaking sound. I know the sound comes from the rubber around the moonroof that`s touching the body, and when it drys it makes the squeaking noise. I just like to know what I should use to keep the rubber lubricate so it doesn`t make that noise? I`ve tried using WD40, but it doesn`t last long.

Thanks

NEW AGAIN
01-29-2004, 09:25 PM
wurth silcone free rubber care / wurth silcone free rubber gel stick

tom p.
01-29-2004, 09:37 PM
3M Rubber & Tire Dressing may be a solution.

! apmljv
01-29-2004, 10:08 PM
I`ll give it a try..

Thanks

stevet
01-29-2004, 10:15 PM
BMW Gummi-pflege.

shaf
01-31-2004, 02:59 AM
If these are rubber seals definitely don`t use WD40 on it - it`s full of oil and solvent (probaby kerosene) and that kind of stuff isn`t good for rubber.

I would try just using whatever rubber/vinyl protectant you currently use on your interior on it first before springing for a specialized product just to try and fix this problem. Those products are good, but some of them just seem to be concentrated or longer lasting protectant.

Also try cleaning both the seal and the metal it touches, and wax (polish it too maybe) the area so that it`s smooth and slick.

! apmljv
02-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all the help, I`ll be looking into different product other than WD40(Yikes).

I`m not exactly sure if they`re "rubber", but I believe they`re the same material for door seal (those seals around the door that protects water getting into the car). From time to time, my door will also make the noise as well because it drys and the rubber would start making the noise.

Anyway, I`ll give it a try on different product as well as wax it to make it smoother.

Thanks

imported_Dave Holmes
02-03-2004, 02:17 AM
I believe the material you are refering to (the "rubber" weather seal) is called EPDM. Here`s a good link from 303 with more info: http://www.303products.com/techinfo/automotive/rubber_gaskets.htm

I use it exclusively on all of my seals as a wipedown. It keeps them from sticking, keeps them pliable, and prevents freezing. It gives them a very clean, black appearance, but not greasy or shiny. And when wiped with a dry cloth after application, it will not stain your clothes when they rub against the door seals!

You can also check the page on 303`s site concerning RV`s EPDM roofs , as it gives more info on the care of EPDM materials.

Hope this helps.

Dave

togwt
02-03-2004, 07:20 AM
~One mans opinion / observation~

Good information from Dave Holmes.

I use 303 + Talc for lubrication (a Porsche recommendation)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

! apmljv
02-03-2004, 07:30 PM
All the product listing are cleaner it seems, how would that be more of protectant? Also, which one would I need to get?