PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar Dilution Ratio?

gusto
01-29-2004, 06:01 PM
What ratio should I use to dilute vinegar for cleaning windows? Also, I`ve heard to dilute with both isopropyl alcohol and or water? Whats a good mix ?

Spilchy
01-29-2004, 07:15 PM
In my house, I use 50/50 distilled white vinegar to distilled water to clean glass, mirrors and tile streak free. Works great and saves the environment and $$$ on house cleaners.

However, in the car, I don`t use vinegar or alcohol on the windows. Why not just go and buy Eagle One 20/20 or Turtle Wax Glass Cleaner or Stoners Invisible Glass? It costs $3.50 a bottle and they are good for windows.

If you just use a damp MF and wipe dry with another MF, you`ll get the interior glass streak free. Never fails.

gusto
01-29-2004, 07:18 PM
I have some stubborn water stains on some glass, vinegar seems to be the only thing to get them out....

Does your solution call for distilled water only ? What if I have a water softener, does that make a difference ?

Jesstzn
01-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

If you just use a damp MF and wipe dry with another MF, you`ll get the interior glass streak free. Never fails.

^^^ Thats what I do and have for a while. I found the cheap Turtle Wax MF towels work best for this. Even a dry wipe on the inside of the windshield occasionally will lift the film. I do an initial Windex cleaning then forever after that only water/MF.

I wouldn`t mix Vinegar and alcohol unless you know what reaction you might get ( I don`t know if any ). Vinegar is basically 3% acetic acid and I have used 50/50 and 60/40 water to V for windows..

Spilchy
01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by gusto

I have some stubborn water stains on some glass, vinegar seems to be the only thing to get them out....

Does your solution call for distilled water only ? What if I have a water softener, does that make a difference ?

A jug of distilled water is 99 cents in the supermarket.

I am assuming your water stains are on the outside? If so, just take some 0000 grade steel wool and Windex or any window cleaner and wipe with that after you wash your car. Rinse again and dry. That should help with the water spots. Some may be permanent. Try polishing your windows - I like AIO and Autoglym for the windshield.

Next, you can use simple Windex on the interior windows if you want. Just spray it on to the towel first away from the car as to prevent over spray.

For the price of the bottle, distilled water, alcohol and vinegar, you can just buy a great window cleaner! ;)

Bill D
01-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Whne I need a cleaning solution I use a high concentrated product called Clear Power, it contains vinegar and melaleuca oil, you can smell the vinegar. I can make about 32 oz of solution with half the bottle. I mix it with distilled water and it`s ready to go. It costs about $3 per bottle. I have three bottles so I`m set with window cleaner for a long time. It works extremely well, no streaking especially with mfs

boxcartommie22
01-29-2004, 11:11 PM
i learned to mix 25% vineger and 25% alcohol, and 50% water works awsome