PDA

View Full Version : Critique my detail plan

myteg
01-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi, I have a black 1994 Acura Integra and the time has come for me to get rid of the many swirl marks it has. I just purchased a Porter Cable and I would like to hear opinions on my detail plan, and if you all think I will be succesful in getting rid of my swirls with the products I anticipate to use:

Wash, Clay, Wash

3M Perfect It II Rubbing Compound (05973) with yellow pad

Klasse AIO with White Pad

Sealant Glaze x 3 by hand

S100/P21s by hand

Sound like a good plan? Do I have to wash in between the 3M and Klasse or I can just go straight from Perfect It II to the AIO? Suggestions/comments would be appreciated, I`m still doing research:)

Jesstzn
01-28-2004, 07:44 PM
I`m not sure how aggressive 3M Perfect It II Rubbing Compound (05973) with yellow pad will be but rule of thumb is to start with something least aggressive and if that doesn`t work go more aggressive.

Is the car clear coated?

myteg
01-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Yes, its clearcoated. What is a lesser agressive compound you suggest?

Scottwax
01-28-2004, 07:49 PM
I`d skip washing after claying. Waste of time, IMO. Your polish will remove any clay residue left behind.

Without seeing your paint in person, it is hard to say exactly what you need to do or how aggressive a product you need to start with. I`d use a swirl remover before a rubbing compound. No sense using anything as strong as a rubbing compound if you don`t have to.

Scottwax
01-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by myteg

Yes, its clearcoated. What is a lesser agressive compound you suggest?

Meguiars Swirl Free #82 and if needed, DACP #83.

myteg
01-28-2004, 08:11 PM
So if I were to use #82/#83, should I still apply them with the yellow pad? What is a wrong with using a product that it a little too aggressive, just more clearcoat is taken away? I tried to get a pic of my swirls but was unsuccesful, they wouldn`t show up. I really don`t want to go spending $15 - $30 on products that may not work at all, which would make them pretty much useless to have purchased.