PDA

View Full Version : P21S Auto Care Kit - Question on some of the products ->

Inzane
01-27-2004, 11:33 AM
This is the P21S Auto Care Kit, one of my recent Christmas presents.

http://www.carcaresmart.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/inCK0400500.jpg

The kit contains:

- Concours Paste Wax

- Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

- Wheel Cleaner (plus spray nozzle and sponge)

- Car Shampoo

- Windshield Wipes

- terry applicator pad

I haven`t used any of this yet, but I had a few questions.

1) The P21S wax container contains a little grey foam applicator. I probably won`t use it anyway because it seems too small, but should I remove it from the container? I *think* I remember reading somewhere before that storing foam applicators inside paste wax containers can be bad because they can absorb moisture from the wax. Is that true?

2) Do people actually use the little yellow sponge for wheel cleaning duties (ie. is it effective, and safe, for clearcoat wheels)?

3) The directions for the car wash/shampoo says fill a bucket and add 2-3 capfuls of the soap. Its only a 16.9 oz bottle and the cap is practically the size of a 1oz shotglass. Is 2-3 capfuls really the appropriate amount to use? Has anyone used this soap a lot and played around with the concentration? It doesn`t sound like this bottle will go too far at that rate of consumption...!!

4) Is the terry applicator included in the kit intended to be used with the GEPC? Is it considered decent quality (won`t scratch)?

5) Does anyone actually use the windshield wipes? I just discovered on the weekend that I could get the interior of my windows perfectly clean with just water and a couple MFs...

Thanks.

ntwrkguy1
01-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Jason,

I have the exact same kit from last year. My answers:

1) I use the little grey applicator. It works just fine, and P21S spreads sooooo easy that I`ve never bothered with anything else. Plus, it fits inside the jar, and won`t scratch the surface.

2) I have used the little yellow sponge, but wasn`t all that pleased with the performance. I still have it, but use some other wheel brushes.

3) The car wash is kind of strange. I thought their rate of mix was a bit high, so I experimented. I find that I can use about 1.5 capfuls in almost 2.5 gallons of water, and the mix is still good. While I think the P21S wash is a good one, I also use Meguiar`s Gold Class, which is a whole lot more economical at $8 a gallon!

4) The terry applicator is a good one....didn`t scratch anything I`ve used it on.

5) The windshield wipes are a bit much. Since they are included in the pack, I did use them, but I wouldn`t go out of my way to repurchase them.

hth,

DavidM

Accumulator
01-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Inzane- My $0.02

1. What ntwrkguy1 said.

2. What ntwrkguy1 said, get a boar`s hair wheel brush from Griot`s.

3. Yeah, you can play with the dilution ratios. Those little bottles of car wash that come in most kits are a joke. You`ll run out pretty fast. IMO, the Gold Class isn`t NEARLY slippery enough, get some Griot`s Car Wash, available in gallons for about $30. Not cheap, but better than the price on the P21s stuff. Ditto for Griot`s Wheel Cleaner.

4. What ntwrkguy1 said

5. I save those for when I`m travelling, use `em on rental cars. They`re more convenient than they are effective.

G Money
01-27-2004, 12:52 PM
The little grey applicator works VERY well with the small container of wax. I would not want to use anything else and waxing with one this small makes it a breeze to use around trim moldings, corners and tight places.

imported_Intermezzo
01-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

IMO, the Gold Class isn`t NEARLY slippery enough, get some Griot`s Car Wash, available in gallons for about $30.

Glad I`m not the only one who feels this way. I wasn`t impressed AT ALL with Meguiar`s GC wash. Decent suds, but weak lubricity.

P21S wash is pretty good though... Just wish they sold it in gallon jugs.

Damn, still haven`t gotten around to trying Griot`s wash yet!

ntoddalbert
01-27-2004, 01:25 PM
If you like the P21S get a bottle of BMW car wash soap. & bucks for 1000ML

Great buy in my opinion