PDA

View Full Version : Will a Glaze make a wax last shorter - #81/NXT

jsoto
01-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Hopefully, if the weather forcaster are calling it right, it`s going to hit above freezing this Saturday. It`s been awfully cold in New York.

It`s not warm enough for me to spend a couple of hours polishing however. I`m thinking about #81, followed up with NXT. Would the oils in #81 hinder/dilute the durability factor of a product such as NXT.

Granted, with polymers (SG or Z), it`s fact that any oil will hinder bonding......what is the story with NXT.

badwrx
01-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Yes, I too am curious about this fact.

Scottwax
01-28-2004, 11:21 PM
I`ve never noticed any loss of durability using #26 (which does have polymers) over #81.

I don`t know what kind of testing Meguiars has done with #81 and NXT, but I would think they would try to make sure they were compatible.

MBZ 500E
01-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Havn`t had any problems putting Nxt on #7, actually I preferred the look of Nxt on my car.

rstype
01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by jsoto

Hopefully, if the weather forcaster are calling it right, it`s going to hit above freezing this Saturday. It`s been awfully cold in New York.

It`s not warm enough for me to spend a couple of hours polishing however. I`m thinking about #81, followed up with NXT. Would the oils in #81 hinder/dilute the durability factor of a product such as NXT.

Granted, with polymers (SG or Z), it`s fact that any oil will hinder bonding......what is the story with NXT.

I doubt it. I would think that the cleaners in NXT will take care of the oils in #81. Plus, NXT itself is an oily product. Oils + oils (like #26) works.

RobD
01-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Do you guys feel glazes make a quantifiable difference on well prepared surfaces when used under top shelf carnaubas like Souveran, P21S, etc? TIA

togwt
01-29-2004, 10:01 AM
~One man’s opinion /observations~

Quote: I doubt it. I would think that the cleaners in NXT would take care of the oils in #81. Plus, NXT itself is an oily product. Oils + oils (like #26) works.

From what I’ve seen/heard NXT does not contain a cleaning agent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Do you guys feel glazes make a quantifiable difference on well-prepared surfaces when used under top shelf carnaubas like Souveran, P21S, etc? TIA

A glaze is an emulsion formulated from polymer resin and Carnauba wax that ‘fills in’ small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, without removing them. Sometimes called Show Glaze as it’s a purely aesthetic product as it’s filling abilities usually wear off in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this process. After the application of a glaze the paint film surface will require a protective wax or sealant.

If the paint film surface is well prepped (little to no surface marring, swirls etc) you shouldn’t need a glaze, polish and a wax should give you what you’re looking for.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

AlphaSpread
01-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

If the paint film surface is well prepped (little to no surface marring, swirls etc) you shouldn’t need a glaze, polish and a wax should give you what you’re looking for.

I don`t agree. While glazes do fill in "minor" imperfections, they also improve shine. In fact, glazes in general shine better than waxes. That is why people like Forrest only use glaze on his garage queens. It is also why glazes are so popular amongst the concours crowd....hence the name "show car glaze".

Also, I don`t think your quote above is too practical if one`s daily driver is black.