PDA

View Full Version : How long can I leave Klasse SG on paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Ben Carufel
01-27-2004, 12:54 AM
I detailed a friend`s `96 M3 this past weekend...

...3M Rubbing Compound/Machine Polish/SMR on the body panels with CMA pads and the Porter Cable

...Klasse AIO and SG

My question is how long can I leave the SG to cure on the paint? I`d rather leave it till next weekend (about 6 days) so that I don`t have to go back one night this week and take care of it...

Is that OK? How long can I safely leave it to cure on the paint?

I`ll be topping it with S100 of course :)...

2wheelsx2
01-27-2004, 01:36 AM
I don`t think there is a definitive answer on this one. But I would think that one week shouldn`t be a problem. I know that I have found after a week, at the next wash, that I have missed a spot, and buffed it out, no problems, whatsoever, but then it was only small areas, not the whole car. I don`t see why it would behave differently if it`s the whole car rather than a small spot. You leave the SG on there after you buff the excess off anyway.

Ben Carufel
01-27-2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks! That`s pretty much what I figured...I`ve left it on for 3 days before and haven`t had any problems when buffing it off (I use a microfiber misted with Griot`s Speedshine)...

Happy to know I can enjoy my weeknights :).

Here`s a snapshot of what it looked like after the AIO.

chris0626
01-27-2004, 02:21 AM
A while back in this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=269134&highlight=Klasse#post269134) I confessed to my admittedly-risky experience of leaving SG on my Benz for 48 hours. My results were A-OK. But a couple of folks in that thread commented on the risk of getting dust/abrasives on the car, which could create scratches. I reckon that goes triple for your 6-day experiment.

Ben Carufel
01-27-2004, 04:08 AM
I gave that some thought before I applied the SG, but decided we`d probably be OK because the car is going to sit in the garage alone for the week. He`s parking his other car outside, even, to minimize anything being kicked up in the garage...

Guess we`ll find out! :)...

stevet
01-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Not tryin to be picky but your post confused me at first because of your use of the term "cure". Cure time is the amount of time between coats of SG. How long you wait to buff of a coat of SG is drying time. What you were really asking is how long you can let SG dry for before buffing it off.

Like 2wheelsx2 I have washed my car a week after applying SG and found a few spots I had missed buffing off. I just washed over the spot and the results were fine. The thing is I washed the area I didn`t just let the car sit for a week and then buff off as normal. I would not let a car sit for 6 days and then buff of the SG. You would be suprised how much dust and grit will accumulate on the paint even in a garage.

Next time try the Bill North wipe on wipe off method. Apply SG a section at a time and buff off, no drying time required. I have not tried this method yet but lots have and are getting good results.

Accumulator
01-27-2004, 12:11 PM
I`ve left SG on for days (maybe 5) before removing, no problems, just watch the dust, grit etc. My garage is VERY clean, but I`d get some contamination after THAT long.

BTW, much as I like it, *I* wouldn`t use Speed Shine to remove SG. All the carnauba in it might cause problems sometime. If you let it sit THAT long, just "fogging" the surface of the paint with your breath will help you get it right off.

Ben Carufel
01-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by stevet

Not tryin to be picky but your post confused me at first because of your use of the term "cure". Cure time is the amount of time between coats of SG. How long you wait to buff of a coat of SG is drying time. What you were really asking is how long you can let SG dry for before buffing it off.

Like 2wheelsx2 I have washed my car a week after applying SG and found a few spots I had missed buffing off. I just washed over the spot and the results were fine. The thing is I washed the area I didn`t just let the car sit for a week and then buff off as normal. I would not let a car sit for 6 days and then buff of the SG. You would be suprised how much dust and grit will accumulate on the paint even in a garage.

Next time try the Bill North wipe on wipe off method. Apply SG a section at a time and buff off, no drying time required. I have not tried this method yet but lots have and are getting good results.

Sorry for the confusion; thanks for the clarification! I need to brush up on my Autopiaisms since I`ve been too busy to spend too much time here for a few months!

For what it`s worth I used to do the Bill North method, but never had success with it. That`s when I switched to letting it have plenty of drying time. On my M Coupe I`ll usually allow it to dry overnight...

Ben Carufel
01-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I`ve left SG on for days (maybe 5) before removing, no problems, just watch the dust, grit etc. My garage is VERY clean, but I`d get some contamination after THAT long.

BTW, much as I like it, *I* wouldn`t use Speed Shine to remove SG. All the carnauba in it might cause problems sometime. If you let it sit THAT long, just "fogging" the surface of the paint with your breath will help you get it right off.

I`ve heard that SpeedShine isn`t the best QD to buff with. I`m almost out of it, too, so good thing...

...what all are you using to buff SG with? I`ve done the fogging with breath method a few times but I always end up getting dizzy after a while ;)...

Gonzo
01-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Consider SONUS as a QD - it is KLASSE friendly. It does an excellent job of handling SG smears whenever it had been applied a little too heavily. Works nicely over PUPP as well.

spotter
01-27-2004, 02:36 PM
If the Bill North method is not working for you I wonder if you are not applying too much product. Using as thin a layer as I can I have never had any problem removing SG by wipe on, wipe off or by using the two MF towel (one damp, one dry) method and I have never had any smearing or hazing. In fact I guess I have been lucky to have never experienced any of the SG problems that I have read about and can`t help but wonder if all of them are a result of applying too much product.

Gonzo
01-27-2004, 03:20 PM
I used the SONUS to bail myself outta the hole I dug the first time I applied SG. I used a yellow foamie and it ended up too thick. Was B---H to remove and streaked like crazy - prolly not sufficiently dry. Panic overtook me and I dove into the SONUS and it worked like a dream. Ever since I`ve applied SG a la BillNorth and had no problems whatsoever. Now SONUS is relegated to its proper place in my life - as a QD.

Accumulator
01-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Ben Carufel- Heh heh, dizzy huh? I oughta tease you about getting in better shape, but I won`t since you have such a cool Bimmer ;)

QDs besides Sonus (which is probably the best) that have worked OK for *ME* with SG include Quik Shine, BF, and Megs` FI (#34), although the #34`s alcohol probably does a TINY bit of damage to the SG. Nothing I think you`d notice, though.

BTW, nothing WRONG with any of the various SG methods. Just use whatever works for you :xyxthumbs

Ben Carufel
01-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Awesome info guys, thanks...

Outlaw, I`m sure I`m applying it a little too thick, but then again I`m still in the perpetual process of refining my technique so I suppose its OK...

I`ll have to pick up some Sonus...thanks very much for the tip guys...

Accumulator, I *am* in good shape! I`m a photo assistant -- I run around shoots all day with equipment and stuff. Always on the go! Maybe my lung capacity just sucks....wouldn`t that be a trick? My father was a smoker for a long time and he always got top ratings on lung capacity anyways. I don`t even smoke! Sheesh!

chris0626
01-27-2004, 11:07 PM
I used Meguiars Final Inspection for removal/buffing when I left my SG on the Benz for 2 days. Accumulator may be right (I would trust his judgment) about the effect of its alcohol, but I didn`t notice any effect; but I also used the FI quite sparingly!