PDA

View Full Version : AOI/SG vs NXT on the same car.

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
01-26-2004, 07:24 PM
I had used Klasse AIO/SG on this black BMW 740iL about 6 weeks ago. I then decided to try NXT on this same car 6 weeks later. No prep was needed, just applied NXT.

I tried to get the angle and hopefully the sunlight the same, but when it was 6 week prior that I took the first picture, it is hard to remember exactly how the car was angled. Anyway, both days were sunny, so the light was similar...at least as close as I could get it for not being in control of sunshine.

AIO/SG:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8781998_bmw740_klasse_sgv2.jpg

6 weeks later, NXT only:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8781998_bmw_740_sg_nxt.jpg

The NXT version looks slightly `blacker` to me, but that could be the amount of sunlight as much as it is the product. Just shows how hard before and after can be.

grt1today
01-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Scott, how`s the gloss and slickness of NXT compared to the AIO/UPP combo that you like so much?

imported_ajbarnes
01-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Looks awesome!

Great comparison photos. It`ll definitely take some looking hard at to see a difference, but I do see what you are talking about as far as NXT giving the BMW a slightly black look.

From all the reviews, I will definitely have to give NXT a try......unfortunately! I`m already broke as it is!!!!!:D

Scottwax
01-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Here are two more shots for additional comparison. As you can see, the angle does make a difference in how black it looks with the AIO/SG version, less so with NXT.

AIO/SG:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8781998_bmw740_klasse_sg.jpg

NXT:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8781998_bmw_740_sg_nxtv2.jpg

imported_Aurora40
01-26-2004, 07:36 PM
The hood and front look the same, but look at the side. The NXT side does seem glossier/wetter, though the SG reflection looks a bit sharper (though that may have to do with positioning also).

Scottwax
01-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by grt1today

Scott, how`s the gloss and slickness of NXT compared to the AIO/UPP combo that you like so much?

Gloss and slickness are similar, but NXT has a deeper look.

grt1today
01-26-2004, 08:03 PM
I`m still in shock here. If this NXT is rivaling some of the best products that we have in our arsenals, but I can go down to the corner store and pick it up right next to something like "nu finish" the supposed once a year car wax, then I`m gonna have to rethink my detailing process and products...:nixweiss

Jngrbrdman
01-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Don`t sell all your Klasse just yet. Last time I checked SG was only 5 bucks more expensive than NXT. I`ll bet I can get far more coats out of a bottle of SG than NXT too. I know for a fact I can get at least 40 coats out of a bottle.

So are you saying that you didn`t remove the SG before you applied the NXT? I`m curious to know how this showed us truely how NXT compares to SG on the same vehicle. It looks to me like its showing how good NXT looks on top of SG. :nixweiss

Scottwax
01-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Don`t sell all your Klasse just yet. Last time I checked SG was only 5 bucks more expensive than NXT. I`ll bet I can get far more coats out of a bottle of SG than NXT too. I know for a fact I can get at least 40 coats out of a bottle.

Based on how much of the bottle I have used so far, I am guessing I can get a good 25 applications per bottle-and that does include all the behemoth SUVs and F250s I do.

So are you saying that you didn`t remove the SG before you applied the NXT? I`m curious to know how this showed us truely how NXT compares to SG on the same vehicle. It looks to me like its showing how good NXT looks on top of SG. :nixweiss

First off, it had been 6 full weeks since I had used AIO/SG when I used NXT. Second, both pics of each combination were taken right after using that product. The pics of the car with AIO/SG were taken when I initially applied them not 6 weeks later just before using NXT. I could have prepped the paint by using Vanilla Moose or Meguiars #81 (which should have removed the AIO/SG, right?) but since I was doing this out of the goodness of my heart (and he did give me a $75 tip for Christmas) to test how NXT looked on black with no prep, I didn`t. I do have a feeling that using a glaze under NXT probably would have made the car look even better than just applying NXT over AIO/SG applied 6 weeks prior.

Was that a completely fair comparison? It was as close as I could get given the circumstances. Is this conclusive proof that NXT is better than AIO/SG? No, of course not. I still don`t know how durable NXT is for example. Nor do I know how long it`s `look` holds up. I never drew any conclusive conclusions because the lighting and angles are not 100% equal. All I said was the NXT car looked slightly blacker to me...then mentioned the lighting and angle of the car may have something to do with it.

BTW, just FYI....AIO+NXT on single stage white = teh win. ;)

imported_memnuts
01-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks Scott for sharing this experiment with us. As usual cars look great. :bow

Do you plan any topper experiments: CMW? Natty? P21S/S100?

Have you used Clearkote QS over NXT yet? I love the results I am getting with black ( UPP,NXT and QD`d with FD).

Scott have you notice that the NXT finish is smear resistant.:nixweiss

After curing for 24 hrs if one wipes his/her dry finger across the surface that there is absolutely zero smudging. Incredible. :D

txz28
01-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Thanks Scott for sharing this experiment with us. As usually cars look great. :bow

Have you used Clearkote QS over NXT yet? I love the results I am getting with black ( UPP,NXT and QD`d with FD).

This is a newbie question. What improvements would you expect with a topper? It appears to have a deep, wet shine.

The car looks awesome. :up

imported_memnuts
01-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Good question txz28,

Yes, NXT has an excellent final appearance by itself. So much so that the "mad scientist" in me has not emerged to do some topper experiments.

Nevertheless, sometimes a topper increases depth and fills some surface marring uneffected by previous protectant (i.e. NXT, Klasse, UPP, and less so EX( has carnuaba in its formulation :xyxthumbs), etc). Carnaubas are great for their short term filling ability.

Hope this helps. :wavey

JaCkaL829
01-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Nice work Scottwax! I was a little skepetical about NXT, I also felt people were getting a little worked up about it, but it seems like a REALLY great product. I was originally gonna do Mother`s Pre-Wax cleaner then #26 for friends and family cars but i think im just gonna wait for NXT to hit shelves and try that. NXT got some good reviews and every picture and review says and show it brings more color which is awesome. I think this product is really going to put Meguiars over the top concerning consumer/professional detailers. It will really connect the bridge of Gold Class wit their Professional series. I am pretty excited that its gonna be in stores making it easy for me to buy, the only thing that angers me is that its easily accessible for other people. I would like to make other people`s cars look good, its just that once the secret is out everyone will know where to go. I like to be the only person in town to have a product, but wit NXT coming out i`d have to "hide" all the waxes in all the stores lol.

Scottwax
01-27-2004, 11:42 AM
JohnnyDaJackal-I wouldn`t worry about the average person using NXT and achieving the results we do. They are just going to slap on some NXT with zero prep. NXT has some light filling ability, but not enough to make up for the average person`s swirled and scratched paint.

Scottwax
01-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Thanks Scott for sharing this experiment with us. As usually cars look great. :bow

Negative ghostrider. No time right now. On the crappy days, it is either too cold or wet to do anything and on the nice days, I am working past sundown. Maybe in a month or so when the days are longer and warmer.

Scott have you notice that the NXT finish is smear resistant.:nixweiss

After curing for 24 hrs if one wipes his/her dry finger across the surface that there is absolutely zero smudging. Incredible. :D

Yes, I have noticed that, especially since after using NXT on my car, my customers run their hands across my paint to see how slick it is.