PDA

View Full Version : detailing info on kandy paint

Jwolf28
01-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Hello,

This is my first post on autopia, a friend of mine recommended I check out this site, and I`m glad I did, I`ve found a wealth of knowledge and a community of like minded folk ready and willing to lend a hand.

My question is this: I am having my car repainted kandy blue cobalt over a cinder red basecoat, which should be coming out of the shop by the end of the week. I live in California, so the current winter weather isn`t too bad, it is around 45-40 degrees average, and rains from time to time.

Once my car is out of the shop, do I need to wait a certain amount of time before detailing it? My friend said to wait 30 days or so for the paint to cure.

What are some steps to follow for new paint? Should I stick to just washing / drying/ waxing regularly for a while? Or should I immediately have it clay barred and polished (after a wash of course)

Any insight is welcome. I`m planning on using the Klasse AIO, but should I follow that with a carnuba wax for the richness and 3-D effect that will bring out the kandy paint?

Thanks!

RScott29
01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
The painter should know what best for the type of paint he or she is useing , but as a part time painter (custom bike only) i always want the paint to cure , to be sure i`m not sealing in the thinners use the apply the paint

imported_BretFraz
01-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Boner1

The painter should know what best for the type of paint he or she is useing , but as a part time painter (custom bike only) i always want the paint to cure , to be sure i`m not sealing in the thinners use the apply the paint

I`ll second this advice.

Only your painter knows exactly what mix of paint he/she used so they are the best people to advise you about care.

I personally would not use AIO on new paint. AIO has both chemical and mechanical cleaners in it, neither of which a new paint job needs. If you`re planning on applying wax, use a glaze instead.

Scottwax
01-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Wash your car by hand with low pressure rinsing for the first week. Until the paint shop says it is okay to wax/seal the paint, like Bretfraz said, stick with just using a glaze. You can also QD if you want after washing.

imported_kgb
01-26-2004, 10:55 PM
My painter tells me to go ahead and get a good coat of wax or sealant on it right away. I thought he was crazy but he was serious.

Jwolf28
01-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the advice, I`ll talk to the painter and see what they have to say. I`m not sure if they are going to bake the paint, so I may have to wait awhile for the paint to cure.

Once I get the car back, I`ll be sure to post up some pics in the gallery.

Jwolf28