PDA

View Full Version : UPP on paint

imported_brerpie
01-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Hey all,

Is it ok to leave UPP on the paint for 4 hours or so before buffing off? Will this cause any harm?

cino321
01-26-2004, 10:15 AM
I`m a newbie, so bear with me. But, odds are it won`t do any harm, but it won`t do anything to benefit you. I bet it would be more difficult to remove though.

-Rob

togwt
01-26-2004, 10:57 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Bonding and Cross-Linking Process:

Adherence- the application of a thin even film of product to the paint film surface will bond by surface tension Drying- the primary catalyst is an aerobic process so sufficient drying time should be allowed. This will vary in accordance with temperature/humidity of the ambient air.

Removal- remove product residue by buffing, using a clean dry cloth and a light even pressure

Cross-link – allow sufficient time to elapse to enable cross-linking before the application of further layers or other products

There is no advantage to leaving a product on the paint film surface after its dry and without removing the residue (its what’s left on the PFS that needs to cross-link) typically it’s just a lot more difficult to remove.

Typically UPP requires >24 hours but anytime up to a 72 hour period is recommended for cross-linking and before any other products are applied.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

Accumulator
01-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I`ve left P UPP on for all sorts of timeframes before removing. No problems...In fact, unlike TOGWT`s experience (equally valid, I`m not knocking his input), generally the longer *I* leave synthetics on, the easier the residue buffs off. As you can see, experiences vary, but with P UPP, four hours never made it harder for *ME* to remove. FWIW, *I* usually remove it with suede-style MF bonnets on a random orbital.

cino321
01-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by cino321

I`m a newbie, so bear with me. But, odds are it won`t do any harm, but it won`t do anything to benefit you. I bet it would be more difficult to remove though.

-Rob

EDIT: Bare*** I cannot spell... hehe, or speak english.