PDA

View Full Version : Which combo......

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

C-MDX
01-25-2004, 11:21 PM
I`m not sure if I can search for the answers but I`m sorry if I didn`t. Here are some combos I had in mind but don`t know which suits a clear coated black paint. I`ll be using a PC 7424.

Combo 1

Wash

Clay during wash

Wash

DACP w/ LC yellow pad

Swril free w/ LC white pad (or yellow?)

NXT

Combo 2

Wash

Clay during wash

wash

Menzerna IP w/ LC yellow pad

Menzerna FP w/ LC white pad (or yellow?)

NXT

Combo 3

Wash

Clay during wash

wash

1z PP w/ LC yellow pad

1z MP w/ LC white pad (or yellow?)

NXT

Combo 4

Wash

Clay during wash

Wash

DACP w/ LC yellow pad

Swril free w/ LC white pad (or yellow?)

AIO

SG

Combo 5

Wash

Clay during wash

wash

Menzerna IP w/ LC yellow pad

Menzerna FP w/ LC white pad (or yellow?)

AIO

SG

Combo 6

Wash

Clay during wash

wash

1z PP w/ LC yellow pad

1z MP w/ LC white pad (or yellow?)

AIO

SG

I know that Menzerna and 1z polish contains no filler but does swril free contain fillers??

If you`re part of one of my past thread, the "best sealants?" thread, I`m very sorry and I mean it!!

imported_NHBFAN
01-25-2004, 11:35 PM
IP or DACP maybe more aggressive than you need for a new car.

Try something less aggressive e.g., AIO, MP, or maybe SFP if necessary.

See if you can prep the car yourself ... skip the dealer`s scratch and swirl department.

imported_jaobrien6
01-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Assuming that you either skip the dealer prep, as NHBFAN recommends, or get lucky and the dealer doesn`t scratch/swirl your car, then you won`t actually need to use any of the polishes. You don`t want to polish if you don`t need to because you`re removing paint unnecessarily. If you let the dealer prep it and you do get swirls, then I would suggest starting with the least aggressive polish first. Don`t jump right to DACP because if SFP is strong enough, then that`s what you`d want to use. If SFP doesn`t work, then you can try stepping up to DACP.

As for the specific combo to use, I don`t think anyone`s going to be able to give you a definitive answer. All of the products you mention below have good reputations around here, with many satisfied users. My recommendation: Just pick one, you`ll be happy with any of the combos you have listed. Then, worry more about your technique than the products. That`s where you can really make the paint shine.

I`m assuming that we`re still talking about the brand new MDX you`re about to get.

John

imported_COBRyan
01-26-2004, 01:37 AM
I would like to add another possible combo if I may! I would use this combo or your number 4 combo but with NXT topper, and minus the DACP step (unnecessary on a new car)

wash

clay

swirl free polish #82 or #9 SMR

Vanilla Moose

Poorboys EX Sealant (optional)

Carnauba Moose Wax

C-MDX
01-26-2004, 02:01 AM
The MDX is brand new but it sat on the dealer lot for almost a month and I`m picking it up next saturday so I don`t know if the dealer preped it already or not :confused:. Ofcourse, I hope they didn`t. I`ll phone them to check.

C-MDX
01-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Any more??

grt1today
01-26-2004, 07:54 PM
#5 Minus the IP... Topped with a paste wax or nxt at the very end...

C-MDX
01-26-2004, 10:04 PM
So here goes.....

Wash

Clay during washing

Wash

#82 w/ LC yellow pad

3M SMR w/ LC orange pad

AIO

SG

I added 3M SMR because I`m not sure if #82 is enough to do the job. BTW, 3M SMR removes swrils not fill them right?? If so, I know AIO will remove the fillers. I assume AIO and SG is better than NXT (?) but if you`re talking about application, that`s another case.

andriver
01-26-2004, 10:08 PM
I have tried Combo 3 minus the NXT on my wife`s black mustang. It looked really good.

C-MDX
01-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by andriver

I have tried Combo 3 minus the NXT on my wife`s black mustang. It looked really good.

Do you have any pics?? I want to see it :)

andriver
01-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Sorry no pics. Maybe next time.

Jesstzn
01-26-2004, 10:50 PM
I`d go with #5 minus the IP. If your lucky the dealer only washed it a few times on the lot and the swirls aren`t too bad.

When you get it wash and dry it then inspect it and look for the worst swirled panel and try the FP on it. If the white pad doesn`t do it try the yellow. If the yellow doesn`t then go to the IP.

Always try the least invasive first.

I have a black cleared car and this is the approach I took.

shaf
01-27-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

When you get it wash and dry it then inspect it and look for the worst swirled panel and try the FP on it. If the white pad doesn`t do it try the yellow. If the yellow doesn`t then go to the IP.

Always try the least invasive first. Exactly.

Since you are just starting out and/or using unfamiliar products you really should try a more cautious, methodical approach to this. That way you don`t use something stronger than what you need by accident.

C-MDX
01-27-2004, 01:25 AM
I think the swirls will be quite bad since it sat on the lot for almost a month. The dealer might washed it a few times, god knows. So this is the combo........

Wash

Clay during wash

Wash

FP w/ LC white pad

IP (if needed) w/ LC yellow pad

AIO/SG or NXT or Zaino Z2 or Glaz wax

I want to use LC pads since it seems everyone here used it like it. If I made any mistakes, feel free to correct me, I learned from making mistakes :) (yeah that`s me :D)

6cyl's_of_fury
01-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Remember to follow up with the FP after the IP if you have to use the IP...