PDA

View Full Version : sound deadening queston...

Pages : [1] 2

ahunt01
01-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Hey all, I`m tired of modding my engine and exterior of my car, and am going to bring my Civic back to stock with the exception of the window tint and rims in the next couple of months. I was thinking about buying dynamat or something similiar and lining the doors, floor, and firewall with sound deadener and trying to make the car mega quiet. Kinda like a civic luxuary car lol.

Anyrate, my question is, does anyone have any experience with this type of material and if so how well does it work? My Civic, like most cheap cars, is pretty noisy when driving even at low speeds. Also, I`m wondering if anyone can recommend any good materials, maybe dynamat or something else?

Much thanks,

Adam

gb387
01-25-2004, 05:55 PM
Funny you post this I am thinking of the samething. I just want to do it to the doors and front wheel well and maybe the back of my cab.

ahunt01
01-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Cool, I think it`ll be nice if it works like I`d like it to. I enjoy riding in really quiet cars, and it`d be nice for a change to have my Civic quieter than it is now, and much quieter than it is stock. I`ll be doing a lot of long distance commuting soon so I`ll enjoy having it really quiet. Anyone?

luke667
01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey guys, well depends on how bad the noise is...i would recommend dynamat for areas where the sound isn`t too bad, but if u want it as quiet as possible, go for a full dynamat extreme install...your ride will be quieter, and any car audio you have will sound better.

tom p.
01-25-2004, 07:14 PM
Dynamat earns: :up :up :up

You can pick up huge rolls of Dynamat on eBay for ~70% off if you shop carefully.

Great stuff! It`s a real benefit in just about any car you come acrossl :bow :D

ahunt01
01-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Cool thanks for the advise. I read somewhere on a Honda message board that some guy did a full dynamat install in his Accord and it did indeed sound like a Lexus or BMW inside. It cost him about 1,000 though, but I fee it`s well worth it if it makes the car more comfortable.

luke667
01-25-2004, 08:39 PM
wot price can u put on luxury ey hehe..another thing is, if u dynamat the whole car, expect added weight

tom p.
01-25-2004, 09:17 PM
the Dynamat can make a significant difference in noise reduction...even if you only do the easy area like the trunk and door panels.

tangix2001
01-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Try this. It`s rated better than Dynamat and it`s less expensive. http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

ahunt01
01-25-2004, 09:29 PM
Well 1k to make a Civic sound like your driving in a 40K+ car is worth it, to me. Yeah Tom I was thinking of just doing one area at a time so I could space out the cost a little. As far as added weight, again I`m getting away from the whole performance issue of my car. I`m tired of trying to make a race car out of a Honda Civic. Yeah I could do it...but I don`t have the money or time for it. And truthfully, I`d rather just buy a sporty BMW than fix up my Civic now, guess I`m growing out of rice:cool:

Is that stuff better than dynamat extreme?

CDR
01-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Here`s a link to an article on "How to tame road noise" found through a web search on `car soundproofing` or similar: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/car-audio-sound-deadening-6-2003.html

Dave N
01-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Also check out the V-Comp on the B-Quiet website. I bought two rolls of this last summer and put it down on the floor of my Tacoma. It is heavy stuff -- and better quality than it looks in the picture on their website. I also "dynamatted" the doors, and used another crappy soundproofing material on the rear walls.

The V-comp and dynamat helped out quite a bit. My truck will never be as quiet as a car, but I`m sure this combination would make your Civic very quiet. It`s a good day`s work because you have to take all of the seats, etc. out.

Lowejackson
01-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Also check that the suspension parts especially the rubber is in good working condition. Worn parts can really allow a lot of noise to be transmitted. Tyre choice can also effect the NVH ratings.

You can also search for any gaps between the firewall and passanger area, any loose connectors or plugs will allow a lot of noise to enter.

Lighter panels such as doors respond best to dampening materials so concentrate on these first.

ahunt01
01-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Yeah my suspension is really noisy now. I had coilovers on but recently had my stock suspension put back on and now it is squeaky over any bump or hard turn. Hopefully a Honda dealership can fix it.

JustinR32
01-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Remember you have two jobs you have to do: sound deadening, and vibration dampening. Traditional Dynamat is primarily for vibration dampening, ie, keeping door panels and the floor pan and such from amplifying road noise. You might want to take it one step further and look into doing both; Dynamat and other comanpies make sound insulation as well as vibration dampening material.

Tom