PDA

View Full Version : Found a use for the stock PC pad!! (pic inside)

Pages : [1] 2

flamed03vert
01-25-2004, 11:44 AM
I saw a product in the Griots catalog that gave me this idea. I simply took the PC pad that came with the 7424 and marked a circle in the middle then cut it out with a knife. Since the foam is pretty pliable I was able to get a level cut across the circle. Don`t know how it works yet but I`ll give it a try on my next claying job.

Brad

ps- I did get the circle in the center it just looks funny in the pic because it is leaning on the mounting screw!

andriver
01-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey I also saw the Claying Pad in the Griots catalog. Quite innovative of you.

rstype
01-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Creative, very creative. I`m interested how it`s going to turn out.

Jesstzn
01-25-2004, 12:37 PM
I wonder if you took the clay and warmed it and put it between 2 layers of Saran wrap and rolled it with the wifies rolling pin you could get it big enough to cover the pad.

Also the 4" foam pads I got with my Simoniz Orbital stick just fine to the PC backing plate and don`t vibrate. Might be good for the clay and they are cheap .. Like 4/$10 up here.

Pats300zx
01-25-2004, 01:09 PM
I think I will stick to claying by hand. Less chance for me to mess something up.

imported_Greg
01-25-2004, 01:10 PM
I`ve heard some pretty negative experiences with the Griots clay inside the pad thing. I mean even at speed 1, if it picks up something and you are going over the whole car, its going to scratch. I personally would only feel safe claying by hand.

Mr Monk
01-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Say Jesstzn, where do you get those 4" pads for the Simoniz stick? ........What`s the quality like?

Jesstzn
01-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Dr Groove

Say Jesstzn, where do you get those 4" pads for the Simoniz stick? ........What`s the quality like?

Do a seach on Simoniz Cordless Polisher. I got it at Canadian Tire in Canada but I have seen similar in the US under different brand names.

Before I got my PC I used the pads with Menzerna polishes on my black car and they worked very well. Not too aggressive . When I said stick I was refering to them adhering to the PC velcro backing plate.

Newport Viper
01-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Doing alot of search`s lately, most agree the white pad is prone to swirls.

wifehatescar
01-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Newport Viper

Doing alot of search`s lately, most agree the white pad is prone to swirls.

That`s interesting...

the first time (and only time so far) I used my PC was with the PC white pad to polish my windshield with Zaino glass polish and I *think* it left swirls (or it uncovered existing ones:nixweiss )

I`ll have to look into this pad issue you raised.

Jake11375
01-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Interesting to see how useful that will turn out to be. I can`t imagine it really being that effective. You don`t necessarily need a lot of speed to clay a car, just patience, persistence, and lots of lubricantion.

s2skimon
01-26-2004, 01:10 PM
I hope it turns out for ya, I`d be hesistant as claying for me personally is something I really need to feel.. so by hand I will continue

Scott P
01-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Claying is so easy by hand, I couldn`t imaine using a machine to do teh job. Besides, when you clay by hand, you can feel when teh surface is clean. You`d lose that ability with a machine.

Good innovative thinking young grasshopper. :)

Gonzo
01-26-2004, 02:00 PM
... and the first time you accidentally pick up a "big booger" you will need a re-paint.

Nope not for me.

esbrown
01-26-2004, 03:28 PM
I think that is an AWESOME idea! However, I probably would have to agree with the others in that I wouldn`t feel comfortable using it on my truck, although I thought the same thing about the CWB until I used it. Great Innovation!

Eric