PDA

View Full Version : Anyone concerned about the future of detailing products? (flame city)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_NHBFAN
01-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I have to admit there’s a part of me that wasn’t pulling for NXT to be successful. (flame city) I know my thinking is flawed, but here’s my rationale.

First, I haven’t tried NXT yet, but after reading the initial positive reviews it’s my understanding that it is a very good product, but not a panacea for all paint problems.

I’ve invested a considerable amount of effort, time, and money to become the detailer I am today, and I still have a lot to learn. I enjoy the challenge of matching the best product for each individual vehicle and the more experience I gain the better suited I become to meet this challenge. I just don’t want to see the day that my neighbor takes his “beater” to the local automatic car wash and slaps on some miracle product that rivals my best work.

In a couple of years will NXT version 2.0 address the majority of paint problems and desirable characteristics of wax/sealants in one miracle product? Will anyone who has $15 and a way to get to Wally World become an expert detailer?

I know this is an overstatement, but do you see my point?

:confused:

GoodnClean
01-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Think of it this way, if technology for the off the shelf products is going to increase, so is technology for the professional products, buffers, pads, towels etc. Think of what your knowledge and skill paired with these new products Joe on the street won`t have access to will make you capable of doing, I wouldn`t be worried.

Anyways, like I said in a thread a while back about NXT (actually I think you posted it, asking if NXT will hurt detailers) people STILL have to go buy it at a store, and apply it without doing more damage than there already is. You have more faith in the average car owner than I do ;)

raymond_ho2002
01-24-2004, 05:22 PM
No way. There are many steps where the average person can screw up their car. Plus, those that buy their own wax, no matter if it`s nxt, zaino, or turtlewax, are probably do-it-yourself`ers who wouldn`t be the type to take their car to a professional anyway.

On another note, NXT did very little to hide minor swirling on my car. It does nothing for major marks.

-Raymond

Slackmeister
01-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

Anyways, like I said in a thread a while back about NXT (actually I think you posted it, asking if NXT will hurt detailers) people STILL have to go buy it at a store, and apply it without doing more damage than there already is. You have more faith in the average car owner than I do ;)

Exactly. Unless an upcoming version of NXT will completely remove all dirt, tar, contaminants, swirls, and add gloss in one step when applied in a thick coat (and removed) with a dirty shop rag under the Texas sun, I think that people who go "the extra mile" when detailing will still by far have the best looking paint. :)

LouisanaJeeper
01-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Your logic baffles me.

This is like the local porsche or ferrari engine mechanic afraid of losing business due to the release of Zmax and the Tornado products.

Accumulator
01-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

..I know my thinking is flawed, but here’s my rationale.

NHBFAN- Heh heh, when you KNOW your logic is flawed, maybe it`s time to rethink it ;)

NOT gonna flame you, but*I* take the exact OPPOSITE view about new products :) :cool: I`m all for progress, period. For me, the more nice things (like shiny, good looking cars) in this world the better, and I couldn`t care less about my efforts vs. other people`s. I wish people who DON`T allocate time to car care could have nice looking cars too.

Used to be only "experts" could give ya a decent shave, and I bet a lot of barbers were dismayed when they came out with safety razors, let ALONE electric ones! Sorta the same thing.

I myself still prefer single-stage lacquer (and I don`t mind busting my tail to keep it nice), but I think it`s pretty cool that modern basecoat/clears let the average beater car look so good. Back in the day, only really serious "car nuts" had rides that even looked DECENT, most cars looked like crap when they were six months old (and rusted out after a few years, too). Now the streets are a purdier place :)

Oh, and *I* would sure LIKE to have some miracle product for my beaters, it`d leave more time for all that work on the good ones!

imported_NHBFAN
01-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

Anyways, like I said in a thread a while back about NXT (actually I think you posted it, asking if NXT will hurt detailers)

Nope it wasn`t me who posted that one.

Like I said, I know NXT isn`t the cure all, but it has narrowed the gap between most off the shelf products and what most autopians use as far as waxes/sealants.

I don`t believe there will be an off the shelf product in the very near future that will address all paint problems. But, I do think it is conceviable that there could be a product to address 80% of paint problems as well as provide excellent protection and shine in the not so distant future.

I`m still not sure NXT is going to be a marketing success. Most consumers will probably opt for some $7.99 product with a fancy package and the word "carnuba" in it, before they shell out $15 for NXT ... we`ll have to see.

imported_NHBFAN
01-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

NHBFAN- Heh heh, when you KNOW your logic is flawed, maybe it`s time to rethink it ;)

Well, actually my logic is flawed because the accessibility of the product will lead me to picking up a bottle or two, or five, the next time I`m at Wally World.

If the initial reviews hold up ... I want on the bandwagon too!

rstype
01-24-2004, 05:59 PM
No flames here, because there will never be such a miracle product. If the hype sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

GearHead_1
01-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

I’ve invested a considerable amount of effort, time, and money to become the detailer I am today, and I still have a lot to learn. I enjoy the challenge of matching the best product for each individual vehicle and the more experience I gain the better suited I become to meet this challenge. I just don’t want to see the day that my neighbor takes his “beater” to the local automatic car wash and slaps on some miracle product that rivals my best work.

You seem genuinely concerned abouth this. That being the case think about this. Manufacturers that create composite body panels with the colors molded into the panel. 10 times more durable than the best clear coats of today. That should keep you up at night. :D

GearHead_1
01-24-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

On another note, NXT did very little to hide minor swirling on my car. It does nothing for major marks.

Mine too though the shine and depth were excellent. I did this intentially with less than my usual surface prep just to see how it worked. Waited a couple of days and put on a second coat. Slight improvement. Waited a couple more days and put some S100 on and the little buggers disappeared. All in all I think it`s a pretty decent product but I won`t be throwing the rest of my products out. :cool:

Jesstzn
01-24-2004, 07:15 PM
If the next generation of NXT will hide the mars my neighbor puts in the hood of his 1 year old Accord with the plastic snow shovel every time it snows or the mars he makes in the hood using a pot scrubber to get off tree sap .... NHB.. then start to worry.

BTW he says the Honda paint is crap. :nixweiss

LouisanaJeeper
01-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Actually the newer honda paints are extremely crappy. Very little orange peel and very even, but extremely soft in my experience.

jimmybuffit
01-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Trust me.

NXT is not going to threaten our business. It is an easy on, easy off sealant that will have a substantial following.

Need something to worry about?

Do a search on CERAMIC clearcoats. Your new Maybach might never need buffing!

That could be (over time) a career killer.

Jim

Scottwax
01-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

This is like the local porsche or ferrari engine mechanic afraid of losing business due to the release of Zmax and the Tornado products.

:lol

The average person would sooner take a swim in a septic tank than spend time waxing their car anyway....and when they do, the vast majority price shop.