PDA

View Full Version : 1Z Polishes - Bonding Issues

Pages : [1] 2

jsoto
01-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Since 1Z polishes does have minor caranuba in it, does it affect bonding when using products like Zaino. Or is it the latter, and the Caranuba is so minute, that it`s nothing to worry about.

imported_jgv
01-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Carnuba on them? First time I hear it. Where did you got that from?

andriver
01-23-2004, 06:10 PM
I believe the only product with carnuba is Express Polish. The other polishes do not contain carnuba. I could be wrong.

imported_NHBFAN
01-23-2004, 06:41 PM
They may not have carnuba, but the gloss enhancing polishes probably have oils, so I wouldn`t use them before applying Zaino.

Jesstzn
01-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I questioned the Western Canada distributor on the 1Z polishes and there was some oils and solvents in them and if your going to use them before Zaino I think the sugested Dawn wash will remove them. If your really concerned with the bonding after you use the 1Z polish do a wipe down with 50/50 alcohol and water. This will remove any of them and also any fillers and you will not only rid the oils but be able to see exactly what your paint looks like before applying Zaino.

C-MDX
01-23-2004, 07:08 PM
So I couldn`t use Zaino after doing the 1z PP and MP due to the oil in them?? Good thing you started this thread because I was going to do the same thing.

imported_Greg
01-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Just go over the car with some alcohol/water to remove the oils before applying Zaino.

Jesstzn
01-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by C-MDX

So I couldn`t use Zaino after doing the 1z PP and MP due to the oil in them?? Good thing you started this thread because I was going to do the same thing.

Look up and read my post ... Dawn.. alcohol/ water .. problem solved.

Spilchy
01-23-2004, 07:59 PM
If you`re concerned about bonding issues as a result of oils / fillers, then use the Menzerna twins. I love them.

I have the Express Polish but have yet to use it. I bought it for use as a glaze on a classic Mercedes that I work on for someone. DavidB recommended it.

C-MDX
01-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

Look up and read my post ... Dawn.. alcohol/ water .. problem solved.

But wouldn`t dawn or alcohol/water remove the fillers or does 1z polish really remove them and not fill them???

Accumulator
01-24-2004, 11:51 AM
If you`re using Zaino you should precede it with the alcohol/water spritz or, if you`re into it, Dawn. *I* would do this with anything except Menzerna, and maybe even with THAT in case I missed something.

According to DavidB, the 1Z Metallic *DOES* contain a small amount of wax. My (very unscientific) testing tells me that it does too. The Paint Polish DOES contain a lot of oils, but not wax.

I`ve applied P UPP and various carnaubas (and VM) over both with no problems. Others have said that the durability of their P UPP was compromised by the stuff 1Z leaves behind, so I guess the jury`s still out. I`ve used AIO after the 1Z polishes when I was gonna use SG, and that worked fine too. If you`re worried about what the 1Z leaves behind, use the alcohol, or AIO or some other paint cleaner, depending on what your last step product is. The AIO-after-1Z goes FAST and easy, BTW. That`s what *I* would probably use if I were concerned.

The 1Z polishes *DO* remove marring through abrasive, mechanical action. They DO NOT just fill marring in.

I sure wouldn`t let the "filler/wax" issue discourage anyone from using the 1Z polishes, they are about as EASY to use as such products can get.

imported_nadir
03-18-2004, 06:29 PM
old thread..... but

what product would you use after PP? Maybe Klasse SG?

Bill D
03-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Yes, that`s going to be my strategy, Im going to use the 50/50 isopropyl mix too to be safe

Accumulator
03-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by nadir

old thread..... but

what product would you use after PP? Maybe Klasse SG?

I only use SG after AIO. On the S8, I used UPP after the 1Z polishes. Or you could go the Glanz route, or any paste wax.

Several applications of UPP after two applications of MP (after the PP) left some GREAT protection, the paintshop had to use lacquer thinner to get it off after the "deer incident".

Bill D
03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
You could go AIO to SG after 1Z polishes and wiping with alcohol mix I hope :confused: