PDA

View Full Version : Is 0000 steel wool ok to use over defrost lines??

nosed_b18b
01-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Just like the title says. I just bought some 0000 steel wool at wal-mart along w/ some lemon scented ammonia. I am planning on removing the tint adhesive that has been on my rear window for 2 years.:p :o

Will this be safe to use on my rear defrost lines???

forrest@mothers
01-23-2004, 03:35 PM
I`d stay away from the steel wool.

Chances are it will damage the defroster elements.

nosed_b18b
01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
But there are different grades of steel wool, 0000 being the finest grade(is there anything less abrasive??). In finest grade, I mean the less gritty/abrasive. So, I was wondering if this would be ok.

stilez
01-23-2004, 04:09 PM
There is a special chemical professional window tinters use that makes the glue adhesive turn to liquid and it`s safe on everything else (carpet, plastic,etc). Give a few tinting places a call and see what they say.

Chances are, you already damaged the defroster line. It`s really hit or miss on those things when you remove tint.

Last chance resort. Pay a tinter like $10 to professionally remove all the adhesive and clean up that area.

Good Luck!

Jesstzn
01-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Here is a site for tint removal

For a kink in the neck look here (http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html)

LouisanaJeeper
01-24-2004, 10:41 PM
You can do it manually --heat gun

or chemically-- adhesive removal solvent (3M, goof off, etc.) or possibly alcohol will be strong enough.

nosed_b18b
01-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Eh, I think I`m just gonna take it to a tint shop and pay them to remove it. I started on a little part of the window and realized it`ll take quite a bit longer than I thought it would. It would also take much more effort than I thought. The angle that the hatch opens up at, and worrying about going in between the defroster lines just adds to the difficulty as well. Screw it, I don`t have the patience for this crap.:p