PDA

View Full Version : Advice for new BMW

RTE60
01-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Need some advice on what products to try on a silver grey BMW, new so paint is in good shape, mild orange peel from the factory. As you an see I`m in the UK so products available there would be a bonus.

Was thinking about VM then Poorboys EX ? topped with P21s or CMW or Collonine 915

Unfortunately lives on the driveway, its a daily Driver & exposed to salt air as I live on the coast, not to mention Seagulls:eek:

andriver
01-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Why don`t you consider Einszett products. I would think they are available in the UK. Great polish and sealant.

tnoy66
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Einszett not in UK :( I got mine from autopia :)

RTE60
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
The products that I can get locally without importing are Meguairs, Poorboys, ClearKote, P21s, AG, Swissol, Zymol, Collonite.

There may ne others but havent tracked them down yet

andriver
01-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Poorboys and Clearkotes are great products. Do a search on these products.

HellrotCi
01-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by RTE60

The products that I can get locally without importing are Meguairs, Poorboys, ClearKote, P21s, ... If you can get these products locally, you`ve got access to some of the best products available anywhere in the world. :D

2wheelsx2
01-22-2004, 06:37 PM
What about Autoglym? The only product I use from their line is the glass polish, and I really like it, but I have seen the results from the super resin and it seems pretty good. Isn`t Autoglym in the UK?

Edit: Oops, noticed that you had AG in the list (don`t use that acronym much), so I guess you have that. :)

imported_BretFraz
01-22-2004, 06:39 PM
In those weather conditions a wax based product won`t offer protection for very long; maybe a few weeks at most. If you like waxing frequently, the products you mentioned are fine.

My advice is to use the best polymer sealant available. Based on the list you provided I`d go with AG. If Meguiar`s imports one of their sealants, like #20, that would be good too. As a last resort use Collinites waxes. They`re about as durable as waxes go.

Spook
01-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I to live by the coast and have the same problems with seagulls etc , I use AG super resin polish finished with AG extra gloss protection on my car (e36 bmw) and am happy with the results.

I polished the car at the beginning of December and with a wash every week with AG bodywork shampoo it has kept its shine and beads the water as if it had just been polished.

If we get a break in the weather I intend to polish it again shortly.

Spilchy
01-22-2004, 08:36 PM
My parents JUST bought a BMW 325xi in the new Silver Grey Metallic.

I clayed first, then used Menzerna Final Polish with an Orange Power Pad, followed by AIO by hand and topped with Collinite Insulator wax. (I used the Collinite because of the severe winter here and all the salt)

The combination looks great. I was more concerened about protection. The Menzerna did a good job on some slight rotary holograms from the dealer.

I think Menzerna (if you can get it) followed by the Klasse twins (if you can get it) topped with a carnuba like P21s or Carnuba Moose or the 915 will look awesome!

If you can`t get them, and your paint is in good shape, then go for Meguiars Swirl Free, followed by VM and topped with the 915 for durability.

Definately go for protection, especially because of the snow.

RTE60
01-23-2004, 11:56 AM
I`ve not found any swirls so far but the car being only a few months old & there not been any sunshine since I`ve had it to get a real good look, also wont stop raining.

I was thinking about throwing Poorboys EX into the mix as I was under the impression that it had some sealant properties.

Not too keen on AG products as they seem to stain the trim on my previous car, also alot of powder.

togwt
01-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Quote: Advice for new BMW

~One man’s opinion / observations~

3Ms Acrylic Silicone Fluoropolymer, or Autoglym’s resin polish and super glaze / + Zymol topper

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

cmk-2
01-23-2004, 12:30 PM
:wavey just another product you could use on your car which you can get in the uk :brit and comes frome the usa:usa is the Mothers range which you can get from Crystal clean based in Yorkshire so not to far and he will give you advice on what will be the best way to use the product :bow he is worth your while to contact him.you will get a very deep shine from using mothers on the car .yesterday did a tvr cerbera with flip paint today it was being used in a pop video for the singer Princess along side a ferrari enzo owned by JK.the owner of the tvr could not belive the depth of shine and clarity of the paint and the colours he was seeing in the paint.also got one of the 3 mercs i did last week will be shown in Classic Car mag in the coming months again done with Mothers :bow

i know i think im addicted to Mothers :sosad

Lowejackson
01-23-2004, 01:01 PM
The Autoglym Resin can stain trim but you can use the Bumper shine to clean it up.