PDA

View Full Version : Question about product...any good?

fieval_72
01-22-2004, 01:29 AM
Greetings everyone. I have a question about this 3M product - One Step Cleaner Wax Medium Oxidation Remover. Does anyone have any experience with this product? The reason I ask is because I have access to limited car care products here. If this is any good I`d like to give it a try. The only other products here that`s readily available is by a BullsOne. I`ve tried it once and it seems to bead well with silicone as an ingredient. Is this good or bad? Either way I`d like to use something better for my car because of all the swirl marks and minor scratches. I bought the BullsOne wax out of desparation...something to put on the car before winter. Thanks for all the Autopian help. Sorry to make this long.....:)

imported_edschwab1
01-22-2004, 02:02 AM
In Seoul, I think you can purchase Meguiars or AutoGlym products or Soft99 from Japan.

What is the condition of your car? As the 3m cleaner wax, could be stronger than what you need. 3M also makes a less agressive cleaner wax, both are good one step waxes.

Eric

fieval_72
01-23-2004, 02:29 AM
edschwab,

thanks for the reply and they do have meguiar`s here but the prices are outrageous on top of the fact that i have to go out of my way to get them. i did manage to find some 3M products at a walmart which is why i asked the question. the condition of the car isn`t bad from afar but in no way in the condition i want it to be in (i guess that`s what happens when you start reading posts here and see some of the pictures;) ). i did pick up some 3M heavy cut because it was there but i believe it may be overkill for the car. i`ll try to post a pic to get some expert opinions. i hope it`s not too much to ask. thanks all.

togwt
01-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Quote: Question about product...any good?

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Question on 3M Car Care Products;

It`s difficult to give a perfect answer to your question because of the variety of tools and pads used to perform this function. They too can have an effect on the aggressiveness of the different products. But here is my best advice on the subject. I`ve identified both cut (how quickly it removes material - the higher the number the faster it cuts) and finish (how smooth the surface is after application - 0 being very high gloss). The perfect product would have a very high cut number and a very low finish number.

Medium Oxidation Remover 39001: 45 cut, 2 finish (this product also has a wax in it which makes the finish look better) ...therefore Med. Ox. Remover should get rid of the scratches/oxidation/watermarks quicker and leave a very similar finish.

Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound, 39002: Cut=65, Finish=12. Typically a professional would use Perfect-it II to get rid of all imperfections, then Swirl mark remover to remove the minor scratches or swirl marks left from the compounding stage and then a wax. When working by hand you can often go straight from 39002 to a wax/polish.

39003 Finesse-It Finishing Material: Cut =25 Finish =4

Swirl Mark Remover 39009 / 39109: Cut = 25 cut Finish = 2(this product contains no waxes or silicones - wax should be applied as a second step)

39006 One Step Cleaner Wax, Light Oxidation remover: Cut = 15 Finish = 1

...and just to give you more information than you need, once you move to

products with waxes in them (like 39006) we have a durability index. This

one is pretty simple. All the products have 0 except the following:

Hand Glaze - 1

Gloss Enhancer - 2-4

One Step Product - light oxidation = 5-8

One Step Product - med. oxidation = 3-5

3M Liquid Wax - 10-15

3M Paste Wax - 15-20

The higher the number, the better the durability - sort of like the number of hand car washes it will stand before another waxing is required. So once you get the car looking great with the abrasive products, we highly

recommend using the 3M Paste Wax. Then if you are a fanatic, use the Gloss Enhancer every time you wash the car.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze 39007

Produces an extraordinary "wet look" shine. Originally developed for newly painted vehicles, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will enhance the surface gloss of any vehicle. Imperial Hand Glaze was developed using a unique combination of paint glossifiers to provide a brilliant, deep, "wet look" show car finish. This professional non-abrasive formula is clear coat safe and contains no wax or silicones.

~Deep "wet look" shine.

~Contains no wax or silicone.

~Clear coat safe.

3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound 39002

Restores neglected, spotted, oxidized, and scratch surfaces.

3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound is 3M`s most versatile rubbing compound. It safely and effectively removes grade 1200 or finer sand scratches, other fine scratches, medium oxidation, coarse swirl marks or water spots, and leaves a fine finish. Excellent for hand compounding applications.

~Safely and effectively removes fine scratches.

~Excellent for hand or machine use.

~Contains no wax or silicone.

~Clear coat safe.

3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover 39009dark colours, 39109 for white and light colours

Quickly removes light surface imperfections, swirl marks, light oxidation or minor stains, and produces a deep rich, swirl-free finish. Excellent for hand polishing applications can also be effectively used with a high speed or orbital buffer. Clear coat safe. 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover contains no wax or silicone. Painted surface will be free of all minor imperfections. Follow with your favourite wax or sealant.

3M Finesse-It III Machine Polish

Revitalize old, dull, abused, and neglected paint finishes!

Use a high speed or orbital buffer and this product to achieve spectacular results. You will quickly and effectively removes minor scratches, swirls, and water spots and substantially reduce oxidation. A brilliant, deep, wet look shine will emerge ready for your favourite wax or sealant.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

fieval_72
01-23-2004, 09:44 AM
togwt,

thank you for the information; really nice. i now have a concrete idea what to do with this stuff. as far as technique i can pick that up through reading and practice. appreciate all the help.

-J