PDA

View Full Version : Still confused on this Meg NXT, is it a wax? Is it a polymer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

PDT447
01-21-2004, 11:18 AM
The name says wax the description says poloymer on the Autopia sales page. Which is it lol?:nixweiss

Is it a topper like s100 or will this last 6 months like a polymer?

I have been reading a lot on it but I guess I still do not understand so if you would enlighten a noob that would be great.

Thanks!:up :bow

imported_krsjuan
01-21-2004, 11:25 AM
I`m confused too....Whats " Meg NET" ??

imported_BretFraz
01-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Well, another classic case of terminology misuse. On the bottle its called both "wax" and "synthetic polymer".

Its not a wax in the common sense, like S100, Pinnacle, etc. Its has some wax in it (a polymer wax blend according to MSDS) but not much.

And its not a pure polymer sealant like Zaino which has no wax in it. So it probably won`t have the durability of the best sealants but it should last longer than a carnauba-based wax.

In my mind I`m calling NXT a sealant/glaze. It has the features of both. It fills and hides minor swirls and enhances the paint color (like a glaze) but offers some sealant-like protection.

The product is not available at retail yet and the marketing and promotion aspect has not kicked in. It`ll take some time for everyone to figure for themselves where NXT fits into the grand scheme of car polishes. Everyone who is interested in this stuff is still forming impressions, including me.

PDT447
01-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by krsjuan

I`m confused too....Whats " Meg NET" ??

Sorry doing 10 things at one at work lol

Megs NXT

I fixed the title to read "NXT" rather than "NET". -- Tort

PDT447
01-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Well, another classic case of terminology misuse. On the bottle its called both "wax" and "synthetic polymer".

Its not a wax in the common sense, like S100, Pinnacle, etc. Its has some wax in it (a polymer wax blend according to MSDS) but not much.

And its not a pure polymer sealant like Zaino which has no wax in it. So it probably won`t have the durability of the best sealants but it should last longer than a carnauba-based wax.

In my mind I`m calling NXT a sealant/glaze. It has the features of both. It fills and hides minor swirls and enhances the paint color (like a glaze) but offers some sealant-like protection.

The product is not available at retail yet and the marketing and promotion aspect has not kicked in. It`ll take some time for everyone to figure for themselves where NXT fits into the grand scheme of car polishes. Everyone who is interested in this stuff is still forming impressions, including me.

So when spring rolls around and things unfreeze here I can use it on top of Klasse AIO or SG??

Can you top s100 wax with it?

Of can you top final polish with it? (Final polish is a polymer Scottwax and NYDetailer use)

Just trying to see where it could possibly fit into my aresenal.

Thanks again!

togwt
01-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Question: Still confused on this Megs NXT, is it a wax? Is it a polymer?

Quote:

Good question. Here`s the answer.

In the real world, i.e. not the discussion forum world filled with web-savvy, and hard core detailing enthusiasts like you, the average consumer doesn`t know the difference between a paint protectant and a wax.

From a writer’s point of view, it`s usually best to keep things simple, especially on a label.

People understand what car wax is as well as what to do with it.

When you start throwing words/terms at them like paint protectant, it just confuses them, thus, the word wax. It is however a fully synthetic paint protectant, and does not contain any wax whatsoever.

Mike

End quote

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

PDT447
01-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Question: Still confused on this Megs NXT, is it a wax? Is it a polymer?

Quote:

Good question. Here`s the answer.

In the real world, i.e. not the discussion forum world filled with web-savvy, and hard core detailing enthusiasts like you, the average consumer doesn`t know the difference between a paint protectant and a wax.

From a writer’s point of view, it`s usually best to keep things simple, especially on a label.

People understand what car wax is as well as what to do with it.

When you start throwing words/terms at them like paint protectant, it just confuses them, thus, the word wax. It is however a fully synthetic paint protectant, and does not contain any wax whatsoever.

Mike

End quote

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect * so i question everything*

So its a polomer then? It is used as a protectant that can be topped is what you are saying?

My thread seems to be going no where lol

BillNorth
01-21-2004, 03:03 PM
I`m a little confused myself.

Brett you said the MSDS for NXT lists some carnuba content while TOGWT quoted Mike as saying it has none.

Which one is it?

I`d love to mix and match NXT with SG (similar to how ppl are mixing SG with UPP), but if it has carnuba in it then SG won`t bond to the NXT.

I hope we can clarify this.

Bill. :up

SK2003TypeS
01-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Well, I`m A lot of confused then. I thought I read that NXT was a pure synthetic in one of threads.

What are you planning to do WOO ?.....I mean Bill :p (now convinced "WOO" is your middle name)

Are you planning to try NXT on top of SG ?

BillNorth
01-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

Well, I`m A lot of confused then. I thought I read that NXT was a pure synthetic in one of threads.

What are you planning to do WOO ?.....I mean Bill :p (now convinced "WOO" is your middle name)

Are you planning to try NXT on top of SG ?

:lol :lol :D

You know, I should change my name to WOO. It would fit quite well.

Right now I`m topping with blitz on one of my cars. The SG alone doesn`t bring out that particular paint the way I like. The Blitz does. Problem is I can`t layer more SG over the blitz. And it seems that everyone has commented how NXT gives the deep wet look like UPP. Based on this I was hoping to layer SG and NXT over one another in order to acquire fresh layers of both products for an extended period of time.

Why buy UPP over the net and pay shipping, duty, brokerage, etc, when I can hop in my car for 10 mins and pick up a bottle of NXT?

We`ll see what Mike has to say. Hope he comments.

Bill :up

2wheelsx2
01-21-2004, 04:44 PM
That`s what I am hoping NXT will be too, my replacement for UPP. However, with the gallon I bought last fall, it`ll be a while before I can try any NXT! :p

imported_memnuts
01-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

That`s what I am hoping NXT will be too, my replacement for UPP. However, with the gallon I bought last fall, it`ll be a while before I can try any NXT! :p

Here is a friendly suggestion and comment.

I have topped my UPP with NXT. Looks fantastic with augmentation of the already excellent appearance of UPP and appears to be perfectly compatible. :D

For $15 and money back promise if not satisfied and free shipping, well worth the trial. JMO

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Disclaimer: This is an appearance observation only. I will test on my LS400 which has UPP also for daily exposure testing. :wavey

PDT447
01-21-2004, 05:34 PM
My poor little question still has not been answered lol.

Here is another one in addition to the previous, can you layer NXT?

imported_BretFraz
01-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BillNorth

I`m a little confused myself.

Brett you said the MSDS for NXT lists some carnuba content while TOGWT quoted Mike as saying it has none.

Which one is it?

I`d love to mix and match NXT with SG (similar to how ppl are mixing SG with UPP), but if it has carnuba in it then SG won`t bond to the NXT.

I hope we can clarify this.

Bill. :up

I didn`t say it has carnauba but it has a polymer wax blend. You can read the MSDS for yourself at www.meguiars.com/msds . You`ll have to sign up before you can read them.

imported_BretFraz
01-21-2004, 06:15 PM
I don`t think most of these questions can be answered until a good amount of experimentation takes place. Since this product is not widely available and most of North America is frozen solid, all that can reasonably be expected are some very basic raw opinions. I mean, I`ve had my bottle for barely 24 hours.

As for topping or mixing with other products, I think the benefits of doing this are specious at best. Feel free to top whatever product you want with whatever product you like.