PDA

View Full Version : PC with ScratchX ?

imported_pugoman
01-21-2004, 03:45 AM
Hi there everybody...

Just purchased a PC from the Autopia shop - and was just wondering if anyone out there has used Megs ScratchX with there PC?

I ask because I`ve got half a tube remaining and would like to use it up before getting some #9 or similar. I only have some light surface scratches in a few places on my clearcoat so I think ScratchX would probably do the job O.K.

What pad would be best to use for this? I was thinking of the white polishing pad, as I reckon a cutting pad might be a little OTT for the light scratches that I have.

Any advice welcome for a newbie PC owner!

butchdave
01-21-2004, 08:20 AM
I think you can use it - but I think you should wait for the #9. ScratchX is designed for spot work, you will still want it even when you have the #9 so don`t use it for the sake of it!

JustinR32
01-21-2004, 10:39 AM
I`ve tried it. IMO ScratchX breaks down too fast to be used over large areas with the PC. It is much better for hand spot work like water spots, bird drop etchings, and the like.

Tom

Mike_Phillips
01-21-2004, 10:41 AM
I`ve been using ScratchX quite a bit lately and have been quite surprised by the results.

It works great with the PC on about the 4.0 to 5.0 setting and Meguiar`s W-8006 polishing pad or an equivalent.

With the rotary buffer and the W-7006 I was removing #2500 grit scratches out of factory paint on Corvettes.

In this thread here,

http://www.showcargarage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=580

there are two Corvettes, a blue one and a beige one, that both had a single, deeper, isolated scratch on the front drivers side hood.

For both of these, I sanded out the scratch and then removed my sanding marks using the W-7006 and Scratch X.

Surprised me.

In the below picture, I`m getting ready to pick up a bead of ScratchX with the Makita rotary buffer.

Mike

bileduct
01-21-2004, 03:30 PM
My first and only experience with my PC was with ScratchX and Klasse AIO. I used a Lake Country Orange Power Pad, which I believe would be about equivalent to the Meguiar`s polishing pad. I set the speed on 4.5, and kept the PC moving fairly fast and light across the surface of the paint, exactly as I have seen in videos of people using a rotary buffer. I have a lot of light cobweb scratches on the paint from taking it to the carwash (white clearcoated honda accord 2002) which were not affected at all by this method.

1) should I press down harder?

2) should I move the buffer slower? If so, how slow?

3) should I use a more aggressive pad?

4) I now have a bottle of MPPC and SMR #82. Will they work better?

Don
01-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by bileduct

....kept the PC moving fairly fast and light across the surface of the paint, exactly as I have seen in videos of people using a rotary buffer....

That`s part of the problem, the rotary and the PC are completely different animals. With the PC, you need to move more slowly across the surface. The dual motion of the PC makes it very easy to work with and very difficult to harm the paint with, so you are able to actually `work` the product into the paint with little fear.

I can`t comment on the MPPC since I`ve never used it, but the #82 is really good stuff.