PDA

View Full Version : What do you do during your downtime???

nosed_b18b
01-21-2004, 02:42 AM
What do you pros do when business is slow??? Obviously, there has to be times when nobody wants their car detailed. Especially you guys that do this as a full time thing? Is there anything else you do to supplement your income, or vice versa???

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by nosed_b18b

What do you pros do when business is slow??? Obviously, there has to be times when nobody wants their car detailed. Especially you guys that do this as a full time thing? Is there anything else you do to supplement your income, or vice versa???

As detailing professional I spend that time doing all of the business marketing that I can`t get done during my busy time. It is really that simple.

I guess some may just sort of take a vacation and worry about when they will get to detail their next vehicle. But that is just a waste of time.

When you really stop and think about it just about every business has a busy time and a slow time. It is really up to the owner whether or not that person will spend their slow time constructively or just let that valuable time just slip away.

Scottwax
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
I sleep in, mostly. Being mobile, there really isn`t a whole lot I can do, other than a few of my customers who have a place I can work and a car they won`t be driving while the roads are wet. I`ve got all the business I can handle and since you lose days to rain and get backed up, going out and marketing yourself doesn`t make much sense if you are already going to have make-up work to do when the rain stops.

If you are new at this though, every rainy day is an opportunity to sell yourself.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I`ve got all the business I can handle and since you lose days to rain and get backed up, going out and marketing yourself doesn`t make much sense if you are already going to have make-up work to do when the rain stops.

Scottwax,

Many years ago I too had all of the business I could handle. Here is what I did. I dramatically increased my prices for all new customers.

Think about it. I really did not need any more new customers so I began to simply step up my profit by charging all new customers a higher price.

Of course some people won`t go for the high price, but after all I really didn`t need any new business anyway.

So now, every new customer I get at that high price means increased profit per vehicle.

Remember, it is all about profit. Just because I had all the business I could handle, that didn`t mean that I was realizing my true profit potential.

Just something to think about...

Scottwax
01-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Frank, I raised my prices on details pretty dramatically the past couple of months. No one has said a word about it either. I don`t think a whole lot of them even remember what I charged them the last time. I do good work and I deserved a raise!

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Frank, I raised my prices on details pretty dramatically the past couple of months. No one has said a word about it either. I don`t think a whole lot of them even remember what I charged them the last time. I do good work and I deserved a raise!

Scott, good for you. You should get paid for the good work that you do. That`s for sure. Thanks for the reply...

imported_ajbarnes
01-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Unless you are like Frank, Scott, Shine Shop, and more here, I would definitely suggest that you use your downtime to advertise and market your business. Any time you don`t have customer`s, keep yourself working.

That idea of increasing prices dramatically is a very good idea. That is something I will definitely look into!:xyxthumbs

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by ajbarnes

Unless you are like Frank, Scott, Shine Shop, and more here, I would definitely suggest that you use your downtime to advertise and market your business. Any time you don`t have customer`s, keep yourself working.

That idea of increasing prices dramatically is a very good idea. That is something I will definitely look into!:xyxthumbs

ajbarnes,

Now you have got it. When you are in business you should always be looking for ways to improve. That is the good thing about down time. It just gives you a chance to stop and think, and act on, all of those good ideas that you come up with when you are busy doing the detailing. That down time is a gift that should be put to good use.

Thanks for the reply...

Scottwax
01-23-2004, 05:29 PM
In addition to sleeping, I do go through what products I have on hand to make sure I have enough or need to order more, spend time on Autopia looking for more ideas, etc.

PakShak
01-23-2004, 05:45 PM
I spend time with my wife and daughter who will be 6 months old at the end of January. She is so precious. We have been blessed.

Besides that...thinking about what other detailing products to try that I already don`t have...:D

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

Scottwax
01-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by PakShak

I spend time with my wife and daughter who will be 6 months old at the end of January. She is so precious. We have been blessed.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

Good for you Ranney! :up

They grow up so fast. I have a 15-year-old and one who will be 17 in a month. Seems not so long ago they were little kids. Enjoy it while you can. All the success in the world can`t replace that.

Detailing NY
01-23-2004, 09:12 PM
I sleep

Scottwax
01-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

I sleep

He lives! :eek:

`Sup, Brian?

safetyman2010
01-24-2004, 09:15 PM
We haven`t really had any down time for the last couple of years no matter what the weather was like but this year has been a little different. First and foremost it is the COLDEST CRAPPIEST winter I can remember in 10 years and secondly the car dealers are really, really slow. Therefore we are actually having a "bad" winter which really isn`t that bad to be honest but I do have a little more time to get things done that we never ever have time for. First we did a complete overhaul of the interior of the shop. We cleaned the drains, pressure washed/degreased and painted all the walls, degreased and scrubbed all the floors, installed a new toilet, removed all unnecessary "stuff" from the shop to reduce clutter, performed all necessary maintenence on all equipment and performed some service on the shops bay doors. We spent considerable time re-training all the staff in all aspects of our business including sales and customer relations. Also I had the company letterhead, envelopes, business cards and price lists re-designed and am working on a major update to our website. We have compiled a new database of all our customers to use in our new Customer Relationship Management software. I have written 2 articles for America`s Car Care Business magazine and also taken part in a full feature article on the shop. We were selected to be part of Professional Car Washing & Polishing magazines detailing "dream team" and have attended the mobile detailing expo in Florida. See! There is almost more to do when you are slow than when you are busy.