PDA

View Full Version : sap, bird poop - steam it?

Fritz
01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
rather then use the various sap and poop removers. I know there are good ones, but I`m still concerned about the finish.

Would steam be an alternative approach, for better or worse?

Gonzo
01-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Time between application (of poop and sap) and removal is your worst enemy. I carry a QD and MF in my truck all the time, just to minimize the time element.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Fritz

rather then use the various sap and poop removers. I know there are good ones, but I`m still concerned about the finish.

Would steam be an alternative approach, for better or worse?

Fritz,

I would not reccomend using steam.

I agree with Gonzo, the important thing is that the contamination is removed as quickly as possible.

Fritz
01-20-2004, 02:40 PM
thanks

imported_BretFraz
01-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Keep in mind that bird doo is very acidic. You don`t want to do something that would cause more damage. Instead you want to neutralize the acids. think alcohol is best. Alcohol will also help leech out the acids (its a drying agent) that have attacked the clearcoat.

Tree sap is a challenge because not all sap is the same. I`ve found that mineral spirits work best on hardened sap but that`s not a guarantee. Sometimes a dab of straight car shampoo does the trick. This is one area where you need a few different products.