PDA

View Full Version : Paint Cleaner Plus Recommendation

NewLookAutoCare
01-20-2004, 09:36 AM
I`ve searched some of the archives but get so many results back on my searches that I can`t narrow my search down to one particular (or even a few) products.

I have a 57 Chevy, Lacquer paint that was in BAD shape last year. Car is a light blue - non metallic. Picture at bottom

After AUTOPIAN recommendations, I performed the following steps Clay Bar, Finesse It II applied with wool pad and then with sponge pad, Klasse twins (2 coats AIG, 6 coats SG), then several coasts of P21s as a topper. About dropped over when I was done. Became the new "waxologist" of local area.

Now for this year,

Car sits inside, followed AUTOPIAN recommendations on washing, drying so paint is in fine condition. Contains a few light swirls in spots but not too bad.

What can I use as a paint cleaner to remove some of the light swirls and "tune" the paint up for the Klasse Twins and P21s? I need something a little more aggressive than just a paint cleaner but I don`t need the strength of a full blown SMR.... I would prefer a product that just doesn`t "hide" things in the paint.

I intend to use this with the lightest CMA pad I got in the kit (I think it is the black one).....

Any suggetions on products and tips?

Thanks!

http://tomclarkchevy.com/transfer/chris/Dcp_0362s.jpg

Accumulator
01-20-2004, 11:06 AM
chrisfoot - Glad to hear your nice Chevy has lacquer instead of basecoat/clear :xyxthumbs

Trying to remove micromarring with something even MILDER than a SMR is sort tough. Pinnacle`s Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or P21S GEPC might work, they are about as mild as you can get and still be abrasive enough to remove ANYTHING. VM might do it, but it`ll leave stuff that your AIO will just clean off.

One of the problems with "tuning" the lacquer is that the AIO will sorta undo your efforts due to its cleaning action. Something like Meg`s #7/#3 would be VERY good to use, and actually beneficial to the paint due to its oils, but the AIO would clean it off. It`s sorta a trade-off, using the BEST thing for lacquer isn`t gonna have the durability/protective qualities of the Klasse twins. FWIW, on *MY* lacquer cars, I DON`T use the twins, but I do use them on some of my basecoat/clear vehicles. IMO, the differences between the two types of paint call for totally different regimens.

Using a terry pad instead of foam will make the above products a little more aggressive (if needed). Sometimes even a "nonabrasive" product like Meg`s #7 can have a LITTLE cutting action when used with terry- this is the mildest process you can use, so mild that it only works on lacquer. It`s the "hand rubbed" finish people used to talk about. This is all by hand though. For the PC, using paint cleaners/SMRs with the black pad can work unless/until the pad gets gummed up, which usually happens to ME when I work lacquer. Worth a try though, no biggie to clean the pad now and then. You may need to use the polishing pad to get that micro-marring out, though.

Ya know, Meg`s #7 (or #3 by PC) followed by a good wax (not necessarilly P21S, different "good" waxes look very different on some paints) would give your car a certain "something" that might REALLY blow you away...would have to be redone frequently, though. Not trying to talk you out of your current regimen, just throwing out an idea.

NewLookAutoCare
01-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Do you have any other recommendations for my paint? I am willing to try a different wax, if some Autopians feel that it may be better for a non metallic light blue lacquer paint job?

Anyone out there have better results than with P21S or the Klasse Twins P21S combo on this type of paint?

Accumulator
01-20-2004, 02:57 PM
On a similar single-stage blue, *I* use Meg`s #16, though IMO it`s not gonna look much different from your P21S (just lasts longer). Despite all my previous post`s "#7..blah blah #7...", the combo you`re using now is mighty good.

Some waxes that SOME people think look significantly different from P21S are Souveran (less reflective, "deeper") and Meg`s #26 (darker, "richer"). But we`re talking VERY subtle differences.

Gonzo
01-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Consider Menzerna FP. It contains no fillers - it will cut just a little but is more of a paint burnisher. It provides a wonderful base for AIO.