PDA

View Full Version : For those who have tried NXT ... Has NXT become a component of your fav combo now?

imported_NHBFAN
01-20-2004, 12:37 AM
I know this question is kinda premature for many who are awaiting the results of NXT`s durability.

Has NXT become a component of your favorite combo now? What has it replaced?

Scottwax
01-20-2004, 12:57 AM
I`ll continue testing it over the next few weeks, but I can tell you all my customers like the look and slickness. The main drawback for me will be in the late spring though fall since NXT can`t be used on hot surfaces. No shade, no NXT...but I have Poorboy`s EX and CMW to pick from then.

imported_NHBFAN
01-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I`ll continue testing it over the next few weeks, but I can tell you all my customers like the look and slickness. The main drawback for me will be in the late spring though fall since NXT can`t be used on hot surfaces. No shade, no NXT...but I have Poorboy`s EX and CMW to pick from then.

Scottwax,

I know this is just speculation, but don`t you think NXT`s durability will be at least as good as CMW and the rest of the carnuba waxes? If so ... and if you have shade, do yo prefer NXT to CMW, or is just too early to tell?

Scottwax
01-20-2004, 01:11 AM
I would expect that since NXT is a sealant, it should last longer. However, most of my regulars want their vehicles waxed every 2-3 months to durability isn`t as important to them as appearance. Both NXT and CMW look really damn good, IMO, but I really need to use NXT for a while longer. I may end up using NXT then CMW on top of it and see how that looks.

JustinR32
01-20-2004, 09:03 AM
I like the look, but it`s WAAAAAY too early to tell. It might look better alone, I might still prefer the softer look of natural waxes. It`s a really nice product.

The wax itself isn`t going to be revolutionary to us. It`s a really nifty product that, to me, fits right into the high end stuff that we`re used to; some of us are going to like NXT better, some of us are going to like something else better. What IS revolutionary about it is that it will be available for $15 at WalMart. That, IMO, is the real coup. It`s like going into Best Buy and getting a Krell amp for $300.

Tom

topnotchtouch
01-20-2004, 09:56 AM
I have had it on my Mustang since Friday. It does look very promising. The only thing I am dissapointed with at this point is that it doesn`t seem to darken my paint like #26 does. The look, on my paint at least is closer to the optical clarity of #20. Not a big deal as I can always just top with #26 to get the dark rich color that I prefer. My usual routine of late is prep, #20, #26. I think NXT is going to be my replacement for #20.

imported_Aurora40
01-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

No shade, no NXT...

Unlike most Meg`s products, NXT said it could be used in direct sun. I think it said that on the bottle, but maybe it was on the box.

Mike_Phillips
01-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Unlike most Meg`s products, NXT said it could be used in direct sun. I think it said that on the bottle, but maybe it was on the box.

Just to chime in on this one...

The statement that NXT can be used in direct sun is correct, it can be. But, it cannot be used on a hot surface. There is a difference.

I did my best to bubba-proof this by applying NXT to black paint in direct sunlight, in the middle of the afternoon when the surface was approximately 140 degrees.

Did it work?

Define work.

It went on okay, but application becomes difficult as the product is trying to dry while your`e trying to spread it around.

It dries fully in minutes, maybe seconds, wipe off for me was only a tad more difficult. It was more prone to streaking, but not really bad.

All and all, it can be done, but only by those people that absolutely must wax their car in the middle of the day in direct sun.

Personally, I would never wax a dark colored car in direct sunlight with any wax, ours, theirs, anybody`s. But, I know sometimes mobile detailers are caught in this predicament.

That all said, it does work okay in direct sunlight, early morning, cooler temperatures, late afternoon. Just like most waxes and paint protectants.

Over the summer, while working at Mazda Miata event,

http://www.showcargarage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=223

temperatures were in the high 90’s, maybe hotter, I don’t remember. What I noticed was the product was fully cured/dried within 15 minutes easily.

Play around with it this summer and post your results.

Mike

Scottwax
01-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Mike-you know me! I`ll definitely put NXT to the test in the summer. Even with Clearkote and Poorboy`s products, I avoid using them between 10 AM and 2 PM when the sun is most direct and try to schedule dark cars in the early morning or late afternoon.

Just FYI, I haven`t had any problems using NXT in the cold. It`s been in the 30`s and low 40`s the past few days and NXT buffs off just fine after 15-20 minutes.