PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

rundatrack
09-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Wanted to know if anyone knows of a good concrete cleaner to get out oil out of concrete....it is a driveway and I tried the stuff at home depot with my pressure washer...didnt really do anything...but I was looking for something................

:wait

RedondoV6
09-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by rundatrack
Wanted to know if anyone knows of a good concrete cleaner to get out oil out of concrete....it is a driveway and I tried the stuff at home depot with my pressure washer...didnt really do anything...but I was looking for something................

:wait

If it is just spots of oil, tire dressing etc, you might try spraying them with A2Z and working it in with a brush. This worked really well on my drive way on year old stains.

Let us know if you try this and if it works for you. :)

rundatrack
09-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Where do you purchase A2Z?

RedondoV6
09-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by rundatrack
Where do you purchase A2Z?

I`m sorry Rubatrack ... Eagle One A2Z All Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

Its available in many automotive shops, even Walmart. Look for an orange spray bottle.

Good luck!

Beemerboy
09-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Try these guys for any concrete or title needs. I had a black slate hallway years back and they helps me get it cleaned and sealed up. I have never forgot about them

http://www.aldonchem.com/

RedondoV6
09-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Also, you might try Castrol Super Clean All Purpose Cleaner, in a purple container. I`ve used this too and its very good with cleaning oil and grease. Same method, brush in, leave a while then rinse.

Good luck!

kimwallace
09-14-2004, 12:09 PM
I use mineral spirits (paint thinner) ....
Poor on and wipe up with a paper towel.
Sometimes I follow up with Simple Green and hose it off ... be careful though cause it can damage grass and shrubs.

freedre
09-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by kimwallace
Sometimes I follow up with Simple Green and hose it off ... be careful though cause it can damage grass and shrubs.

Be double careful if you have an asphalt driveway - the oil cleaner will damage the asphalt.

I use kitty litter to soak up the oil/solvent mix and then wipe dry with paper towels.

kimwallace
09-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah,
Mineral spirits (paint thinner) on concrete only ... Thanks!

Focusedonsound
09-14-2004, 03:22 PM
on any concrete use muriatic(sp) acid it works wonders! they use it when acid washing concrete pools! I usaully cut it 1/2 acid and 1/2 soapy water solution.... use a old broom ...and brush it in ... let it sit for 5 mins ... come back with a power washer ... and it comes out cleaner than the day it dried!

RedondoV6
09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Focusedonsound
on any concrete use muriatic(sp) acid it works wonders! they use it when acid washing concrete pools! I usaully cut it 1/2 acid and 1/2 soapy water solution.... use a old broom ...and brush it in ... let it sit for 5 mins ... come back with a power washer ... and it comes out cleaner than the day it dried!

Where do you buy this acid from? A home improvement store?

Thanks

Mike <-- always happy to try something new!

tom4444
09-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Will the muriatic acid work on asphalt?

Just tried some A2Z I had on my driveway...when the water dries I`ll report how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion!

freedre
09-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by RedondoV6
Where do you buy this acid from? A home improvement store?

Thanks

Mike <-- always happy to try something new!

Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid is the main component of the `etching solution` that you use when you are applying epoxy coatings to concrete. You can buy it at Home Depot.

I am not sure that it is effective for removing oil and grease tho. I just did my own garage floor with "One Part" epoxy coating (from Home Depot) and got better results with the oil removal solution where oil was concerned. It does a great job on rust stains,etc. tho.

The down side is that it will definitely `etch` the surface of your concrete and you may not want this. I would stick to a good oil/tar remover if it is just oil stains you want to get rid of.

Beemerboy
09-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I hate to float my boat here again but if you check the link I attached on my first post you will find what you need from experts in the area. These guys are not guessing its there business!!

freedre
09-15-2004, 09:21 AM
You may be interested to know that "Muriatic" was the name given to hydrochloric acid during the 1930`s when it was used by Murray Goldstein of the infamous `Goldstein` mob. The gang members would soak their fingers in acid to remove their finger prints. This practice never gained wide acceptance due to the inevitible loss of digits when too much acid was used.