PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna IP or just FP

imported_vindaloo
01-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Just picked up a nice Boxster & although 5 years old has only covered 10K miles. Has always been kept in a de-humdified & heated garage & never used in the winter or even the wet.

The paint finish is almost showroom (arctic silver) but being an Autopian I have noticed some minor scratches (under fluorescent lighting) on the front & rear trunks.

I have just bought some Mezerna IP & FP as I understand this is the best for German paint finishes

Should I just use the FP & maybe the IP where I can see a little scratching? The doors & wings seem fine. Or should I take the IP to the trunks & then FP. I was then going to top with NXT when it arrives.

BTW I have a PC with some CMA & Megs pads

DantePasquale
01-19-2004, 05:43 PM
vindaloo, I use both IP and FP. Without pictures it is hard to say, but I would use the IP on a PC setting of 4 with a yellow pad, little to no pressure. Work it in a 2x3 foot area for about 2 minutes. Once it looks like it is starting to powder, turn off PC and wipe residue with 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol with a MF towel. Are the scratches gone? IF so, procedd to FP, same procedure with white pad. If not, apply more IP with PC on 5, apply more pressure on first couple of passes, then lighten up as it starts to dry.

I find good success if I take my time. GO SLOW with the PC. Don`t rush the PC, let it work the paint a little. Sorry if I am telling you something you already know.........

imported_Greg
01-19-2004, 05:49 PM
The FP has hardly any abrasive properties to it, so if you have to do any paint correction, IP is the ticket, then FP.

imported_vindaloo
01-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks.

When I say scratches, you`ve got to struggle to see them, in fact you can`t see them in daylight. I know silver is good at hiding defects.

Just thought the IP might be a little too harsh for such a good finish. I am pretty sure the car has just been washed and waxed & spent a lot of it`s life under a cotton indoor cover. I guess it wouldn`t do any harm to use IP on the flat surfaces.

I have raed that IP & FP need slower speeds than most other compounds & polishes, is 4 not a tad too high?

DantePasquale
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
can only speak from my experiences.

I found IP had no effect on water spots or scratches until I applied some pressure and had the PC on 5.

Try it at 3, maybe that will do it for you.

imported_vindaloo
01-19-2004, 06:15 PM
pwalk, cheers for that. I`ll maybe start on 3 as see how I go. I`m tempted to order one of those Green Giant pads recommended for FP & german cars on CMA`s site. Anyone tried one of these?

Jesstzn
01-19-2004, 11:10 PM
vindaloo I have a black B5.5 ( German) and I`d like to suggest what I did. I used the FP with a yellow pad and only went to the IP in areas that didn`t respond to FP. Then followed with FP in those areas. I like to go least agressive first. Then wax/sealant of choise. JMHO

imported_Dude
01-19-2004, 11:58 PM
I used FP with my rotary and it eliminated almost all of my spiderwebbing. That was with a rotary, though.