PDA

View Full Version : swirl frustration/#9 or DACP

Pages : [1] 2

jab
01-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Can anyone please give me some advice on using #9 or changing to DACP. I am currently using PC with cma yellow cutting pad. Results could be better in my opinion. I am not sure why the swirl marks are not all going away. Is it that the #9 in not strong enough, or maybee the speed of the PC (5), or not letting the product work its way in. Is DACP a more aggressive product, and if so how much different is it to use than #9. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Pats300zx
01-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Megs #9 is not very abrasive. I used it this summer on my F150 with a PC and white and yellow pads. It removed some of the surface marring but no as much as I had hoped.

I just picked up some DACP last week and will be trying that this spring. I think that you will find that if you use the DACP then the #9 that you willl get much better results. From what I have read on the forum the DACP must be used with the PC until it is almost completely gone since it has diminishing abrasives.

Hope it helps some.

jab
01-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Are you saying that DACP is used prior to #9, or this an extra step that you use?

imported_Greg
01-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Hit it with DACP and yellow pad, followed by #9 with white pad.

jab
01-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Is DACP much more aggressive than#9 can DACP be used without following with #9

M-M
01-19-2004, 04:14 PM
You could use DACP without #9, DACP will break down to a fine abrasive. I`ve gone straight from DACP to a glaze and it looked great. I think it has alot to do with the condition of your paint and the amount of time you want to put into it. If, when your done with DACP your paint looks swirl free then skip the #9, if you see micro-swirls then hit it with some #9... either way if you have the time the #9 couldn`t hurt.

jab
01-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks , it sounds like good advice. I like to work on my car, so taking the time to do a good job is ok. Nothing worse than spending 2 to 3 hrs trying to remove swirl marks and than following up with polish and klasse SG and still seeing swirl marks under the SG, knowing that you have to do it all over again.SO LESSON LEARNED , USE THE RIGHT PRODUCT FOR THE JOB, AND SAVE SERIOUS TIME AND FRUSTRATION.....

imported_memnuts
01-19-2004, 05:14 PM
If your paint is in good condition and the marring is not beyond the capability of a PC repair...

DACP good

DACP + Meg #9 a little better

DACP + VM very good

DACP + Menzerna IP + Menzerna FP excellent

jab
01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
I just spoke to a tech at Meguire that siad that, DACP is not to be used with PC beouse it is not fast enough. Is this true? Or can good results come out of this combo?

M-M
01-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Well I`ve never heard that before, I couldn`t count the number of people on this forum that use DACP with a PC, hell some people use it by hand.

bigpoppa
01-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by jab

I just spoke to a tech at Meguire that siad that, DACP is not to be used with PC beouse it is not fast enough. Is this true? Or can good results come out of this combo?

I`ve used DACP with a PC several times and it worked great.

jab
01-19-2004, 05:32 PM
What speed?

bigpoppa
01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by jab

What speed?

I start at 4, and as it breaks down, bump it up to 4.5, maybe 5. I use the yellow pad from CMA with DACP.

spriro
01-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Will DACP work with regular orbital buffer (not PC) if I work it long enough? Or will it create swirl because of not enough speed?

imported_memnuts
01-19-2004, 08:20 PM
If you are addressing an inexpensive type buffer ( i.e. Sears 6" and 9" orbital buffers, had one - no comparison to PC), no this type of buffer will not work DACP enough to breakdown polishing agents. Not enough power ( amps) and opm.

If I am not mistaken, Mike (@megiuars) may use a PC occassionally for DACP. :nixweiss