PDA

View Full Version : Need some Pro/Expert Wheel Care Advice ->

Inzane
01-18-2004, 07:13 PM
These are the new rims I got for my ride last summer. They are SSR GT3s 18x8.5" & 18x10". They are true 3-piece, forged rim with a polished lip (as you can see).

http://www.skynet.ca/~treichstein/targetz/ZJay/images/03-06-11%20015.jpg

http://www.skynet.ca/~treichstein/targetz/ZJay/images/03-06-11%20028.jpg

http://www.skynet.ca/~treichstein/targetz/ZJay/images/03-06-11%20021.jpg

Since I only recently started down the path of Autopianism, one area I`m lacking is with proper wheel care.

Based on my specific rims, I`m hoping some of the pros here can give me some very specific advice to help me set up a regimen for my rims.

I`m looking for technique, wheel cleaner, brushes, how often, anything you can think of -- how to clean/wash, how to rinse, how to dry, how to protect, etc.

I currently don`t own any wheel brushes, but do have two wheel cleaners: EO A2Z & P21S (haven`t tried yet).

Thanks a lot guys! :xyxthumbs

Inzane
01-19-2004, 10:20 AM
WHAT?! No responses yet?

andriver
01-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey Jason I would buy OXO wheel brushes. They seem to work really well and do not scratch the surface like other stiff brushes. Before I go any further, have you read the latest article in David`s ezine www.bettercarcare.com about wheel care?

As far as cleaning products, I have used Eagle One`s wheel cleaner. It works really well but I only use it from time to time because I am afraid that constant use may eat away at the clearcoat. I prefer to use soapy water and a MF. I agitate the tire and wheel with the wheel brush.

Once a month, I clean the wheels thoroughly and apply Klasse AIO followed by SG. This really seems to help. I have noticed that wheel dust does not stick to the wheel. I am able to just wash the wheel with soap and the dust rinses away.

BTW nice looking wheels.

SK2003TypeS
01-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Sweeeeet Rims !!!

I use Griot`s boar`s hair brush on my stock rims. Love it. It`s really gentle. It`s kinda pricey (~$20), but well worth it.

I`m still able to get away with just using car wash shampoo (Meg`s GC, Z7) as the dust doesn`t get too bad. I guess because I wash them frequently.

I`d go with Klasse or Zaino for protection.

Jesstzn
01-19-2004, 01:03 PM
I`m with the other two above. I feel if you wash them and the car a lot there is no need for cleaners especially if they are cleared.

Mine are very open so I don`t need a brush to get in the small places and I do a coat of a good sealant ( Z or K ) every couple of months.

I have a seperate chenelle mitt I use on the wheels and a dedicated MF drying towel.

VW are really bad for brake dust and with washing the car min. once a week I have no issues at all keeping them clean. To me more washing is better than less washing and more agressive cleaners. JMHO

tom p.
01-19-2004, 02:22 PM
I`d say it`s a function of how much dust your current brake pads generate. If they`re bad you`ll need to use a wheel cleaner. P21S is probably the best all around wheel cleaner you can buy and you should have no concerns about it being "gentle enough". if you need something more aggressive, switch over the A2Z.

As with any wheel cleaner: rinse, rinse and then rinse again!

good luck.

tkr128
01-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Nice looking wheels!

I agree with everybody else`s posts. But, I have one more item to add. The EZ Detail Brush that TOL sells is the best thing I`ve found to clean the "insides" of the rims.

Here`s a thread on it. Scroll to the last post to see the brush.

If you only had a detailing tool... (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31291&highlight=TOL+brush)

Inzane
01-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Would you recommend a wheel-brush like this:

http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1772_2149454

Or this one instead? (one of the OXO`s mentioned):

http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1772_1029176

and this? (another OXO):

http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1774_1739284

What would you guys use to clean the rivet/bolt areas where the face of the rim attaches to the outer lip? Cotton swaps or something?

Thanks.

Scottwax
01-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by tom p.

I`d say it`s a function of how much dust your current brake pads generate. If they`re bad you`ll need to use a wheel cleaner.

If you wash your wheels weekly, in my experience, you should never have to use a wheel cleaner, no matter how much brake dust is generated. I have several weekly customers with BMWs and Mercedes that dust severely and I haven`t even carried a wheel specific cleaner with me for several years.

Neglect the wheels though and you are right on about needing to use wheel cleaners. Early to mid 90`s Nissan and Infiniti wheels are the worst if you let them get bad.

Inzane
01-21-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Early to mid 90`s Nissan and Infiniti wheels are the worst if you let them get bad.

Thanks for the tip Scott. But I was asking mainly about my new SSR rims (aftermarket), as shown in the pics.

(And my other Nissan is a 2001 w/ factory 2001 rims).

As far as my 93TT stock rims go though, the previous owner had them polished, so they`re not that bad to care for. However, I do find keeping up with the occasional metal polishing by hand (I`ve been using Mother`s aluminum polish on them) does take a lot of elbow grease.

imported_Dave Holmes
01-21-2004, 02:25 AM
I`m with everyone else about using just car shampoo on a routine basis. A good sealant will make them very easy to keep clean. Personally, I use Meg`s #20 on mine and they literally wipe clean with a cotton mitt and car wash. Also, brake dust doesn`t stick nearly as bad to them when they have a sealant on them (and I have a `97 Maxima with stock SE rims which can get pretty bad). I do use a toothbrush on parts of the inside I can`t reach my hand to, though.

OT, but I noticed you have Potenza`s on your rims. I just got new RE 750`s, and was wondering what model yours are and how you like them.

Dave

Inzane
01-21-2004, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the tips so far everyone.

I have some #20 on my shelf as a matter of fact, and my rims & tires are currectly stacked in my basement in tire-bags for the winter. I was seriously thinking I should apply #20 in the spring before mounting them back on the car.

And possibly even clay them too...

jimmybuffit
01-21-2004, 02:59 AM
You are on the right track...

I just put the Klasse Twins (SGx2) on my 92 Miata/BBS wheels.

1. Start with immaculate wheels.

2. Apply your favorite acrylic polymer sealant. Remove.

3. Wait 24 hours.

4. Apply your favorite acrylic polymer sealant. Remove.

5. Rinse frequently/weekly.

Wax melts at 165 dgrees. That`s just b4 the first stop sign...

Sealants make a difference.

Jim

Mr Concours
01-21-2004, 06:49 AM
You might try changing your brake pads to the kevlar type ,it will help,I have done this on my car and its cut the brake dust down by 80%,AND I`ve now got better brakes!

I can also recommend P21S for the backs of wheels (the gel),and agree with the above about keeping on top of the wheel faces with just shampoo,although I have an Autoglym wheel cleaning brush which I use on really dirty rims and to my knowledge its never marked one.