PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with this type of pitting in clearcoat [photo]

GoodGuys
01-18-2004, 12:37 AM
Hello,

The photo shows the pitting on the hood of a black `96 Porsche 911. The pitting is from tiny sand blast probably from sustained high speed driving and it is in the clear coat, but does not appear to go down into the paint and definately not in the primer. I am wondering if this kind of damage can be treated with an orbital or does it require a rotary? If it can be done with something like PC, what products/pads would you recommend?

Thanks

John

GoodGuys
01-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Well, I got no replys so I went ahead and tried some things:

1. 3M SMR (dark) with white pad PC. No effect.

2. Meguire`s Fine Cut Cleaner with yellow pad on PC on speed 5. It seemed to work pretty well to reduce the edges on the chipping and really smooth them out. They are not gone completely but they have been greatly diminished.

Now I have some mild hazing that I need to go over and remove with SMR.

Legend107
01-19-2004, 03:13 PM
hello,

id like to help but unfortinatly im having the same issues. i read your reply and want to try out the meguiars fine cut also. when you say `yellow pad` your talking about the yellow foam bonnet right? (noob question) hehe ya i know, but we all have to start somewhere :D laters!

-jeremy

GoodGuys
01-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi Jeremy,

I was referring to the pads available at CMA (www.properautocare.com).

Ruddell
06-19-2008, 07:55 PM
I am also dealing with same same problem right now. I have them all over my car though, I think mine are from hard water, or rain. I have a black nissan sentra ser spec-v. I think my paint just sucks at the same time as well =/.

wannafbody
06-19-2008, 08:02 PM
If you can`t level them with a PC, 4 inch pad, and heavy compound you`ll have to live with them.

brwill2005
06-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello,

The photo shows the pitting on the hood of a black `96 Porsche 911. The pitting is from tiny sand blast probably from sustained high speed driving and it is in the clear coat, but does not appear to go down into the paint and definately not in the primer. I am wondering if this kind of damage can be treated with an orbital or does it require a rotary? If it can be done with something like PC, what products/pads would you recommend?

Thanks

John

Your picture is of a 350Z. To answer your question, an orbital would probably not be able to correct the damage you describe. Depending on the extent of the damage, it may need a re-paint.

rebelde33
06-19-2008, 08:09 PM
If you guys haven`t noticed, this thread is from 2004 and the OP probably doesn`t come here anymore since they only had 4 posts. :D

brwill2005
06-20-2008, 06:37 AM
If you guys haven`t noticed, this thread is from 2004 and the OP probably doesn`t come here anymore since they only had 4 posts. :D

Funny, I usually do not pay much attention to the dates. Oh well.