PDA

View Full Version : Little Tiny Black Raised Spec`s?

imported_BilltheCat
01-17-2004, 02:17 PM
I admit I am a bit Obsessed with my paint. Bright red Ford Lariate 4dr. Nicest vehicle I have yet claimed as mine. (and the bank of course) The wife thinks I am just a freak about the vehicle. It is too big for our garage, so it is outside 24/7 in the elements and whatever. I think it a minor miracle or a testament to the constant primping that it looks like anything decent at all.

Yes it looks the best of any vehicle in my neighborhood. I take great pride in the red glow!

But I drive the truck this morning about 5 miles away on the interstate at about 75mph with traffic, and afterwards notice that I have many black raised specs like black sand all over my windshield. ( many meaning maybe 20?) I didnt see any construction along the way, and no road maint vehicles either.

anyway I get out and start looking. These sand granule looking things are on the hood, roof, doors and fenders all over! ( maybe 40-50 of them total) The average looker see would never notice them, as the wife didnt even when I showed her! She just rolled her eyes and said, freak!

anyway, you can scratch these things with your finger nail and they dont all want to come off. I can scrape the windows, but certainly dont want to do that to my paint. I tried FD and some of them came off. Good! but most did not.

If I clay bar these spots will I mess up the finish? I have two coats of Zaino Z5, with 2 coats of P21s, then FD. What is the best way to deal with this? Maybe a good wash would help?

I dont care if no one notices these things. *I* notice them. I`m tempted to strip the wax with dawn and start over to get the specs off! If anyone knows how safest to proceed please share!

and please no violins. The point isnt getting from A to B. The truck *IS* the point!

Maybe the wie is right, and I am obsessed......

imported_elortt
01-17-2004, 02:25 PM
your not obsessed, just an autopian!! A clay bar should work just fine. If the specs are as stuck as they sound i would clay then wash unless you wanna strip it down and start over.

Eric

Autoeng
01-17-2004, 04:04 PM
This is not meant to make fun of you or the situation but what you describe sounds like fly sh*t. I`m sure in FL that there are still flies alive. It`s tough stuff to remove but a good claying and as last resort a cleaner will take care of it.

imported_BilltheCat
01-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Fly`s take a dump in unison???? A swarm of flys all drop on command and I get hit? I thought maybe road stuff or pollution of some kind, but yech!

Car wash is in order!!!!! if I cannot get happy then claybar will be next I guess. It`s funny cause it`s on both sides of the truck all the way down.

Accumulator
01-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Yep, whatever they are, that`s the sort of thing clay is made for. Just be VERY gentle and use LOTS of lube. Be prepared to rewax/seal the areas you clay, but *IF* you`re very gentle, you won`t have to (I spot clay all the time and don`t have to redo, but that`s me). I`d get them off ASAP, you never know what contaminants will do if left on there too long..Mother`s or Clay Magic are good claybars, and are usually available locally. If you want to order, I REALLY like the Autopia "block".

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by BilltheCat

If anyone knows how safest to proceed please share!

The safest thing to do would be to wash your Lariate and see if the spec`s wash away.